Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Mar 2001 19:21:38 -0800
From:         Brian Cochran <rangerbrian@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Interesting things in glovebox,VW orgins, "joker"...wolfburg, etc.

Hello all,

Excuse the subject line, but I didn't know what to put. Here is a potpourri of items found in the blue "V.A.G Service" binder in my glovebox for my 1984 westy. I've known about some of these things for a while, but some new items have caught my eye and I thought I'd put it all on the list to add to the info. I'll number them and keep the story short. I can elaborate more if responses arrive. There are both comments and questions.....

1. Contents: '84 owner's manual, 1985(?!) camper manual, Dometic 182B "manual", Dometic Warranty sheet, stovetop "owners manual", Manchester Tank (propane tank) info, ......ok....here's the interesting stuff:

2. 1984 Warranty booklet (hand written "Joker Copy". The warranty cards are still in there new. I thought I tear one out and send it in for fun! Maybe VW will send me a new warranty. Right.

3. 1984 Maintenance booklet. There's a place to put the Customer Identifications Card, but I don't have that. There's a lot of numbers on the inside first page for VIN, optional equipment, etc. The interesting part are the authentic VW stamps in the scheduled maintenance pages to follow. Most are from a dealership in Brunswick GA, with a Savannah at the end, but the firststamp says, "Garage Mulder di; G Raffaelli & C. s.a.s.; GENOVA - NERVI" Is that Germany? next to it is the mileage and date in euro script....even the date: "19.03.84" mi/km "1320" I bet that is Km! Does this mean the van was used in Germany? Fyi, the first US date I can find is 9-5-84, 11213 (mi.?)

4. Perhaps the weirdest content is a yellow booklet "Serveplan" with "Volkswagen Nutzfahrzeuge" It's completely in German. The inside cover has more euro hand writing with a date, "134" (-Vertriebs-Zentrum??) and an address below, very german. The Wolfsburg VW square stamp is in the upper right corner. The rest is a service record, all in German. The first box is "filled out" with stamps: 02. Marz 1984 and again, the Wolfsburg stamp. Cool stuff, even though I'm not sure what it means. I'm guessing my van rolled out of the factory on that date. Inside this book there is an old-school computer punchcard-- "Service Coupon" with my VIN and the 134 again and the handwriting in pencil of 43265.

5. The last item is a photocopied page with JOKER >>USA<< on the top. I search for VW Joker on the web to learn that "Vanagon" equals "Joker"!! I never heard that one before. (See the joke is on us. They break down for a reason--they're a Joke for crying out loud......sorry, getting carried away) the page has a see-thru picture of the vanagon camper and a "Basic Equipement" list below. Page two has a list of colours, options, etc. Dealer ordering info sheet basically. The mystery is the computer printout stapled to this..... I can't even begin to describe it.. lots and lots of numbers..23 rows. I can find my VIN at the top, that's about it......

Now, obviously this is all for entertainment value. Someone should have just thrown this all out and saved me some time, but if this does mean anything I think it would be nice to know.

Brian Cochran 84 westy, still waiting on parts to solve oil pres fiasco.