Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:41:56 -0500
From:         Kitzmann <kitzmann@EXIS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Diesel to In-Line Gas Conversions

So far I've spent the following on my conversion 1. got the diesel trans, engine mounts, bellhousing etc. from wrecked 82 diesel. $150 2. Golf GT for engine, good engine bad body, $450 3. New clutch, $130 Bus Depot 4. New motor mounts and trans mounts about $80 each so $160 ouch! especially now that I see Bus Depot has them for something like $40 each 5. Various nuts bolts washers probably $30 total, went back a bunch of times so I lost track 6. Mufflers exhaust pipe and clamps about $100, custom exhaust routed differently then what most do so can't say that if you do it like others it will cost the same. I also did the welding myself. 7. Fuel line 6 ft worth from local Bug House $20, salvaged a bunch of hard line from Golf and reused seeing that it was still fine 8. electrical tape and other do-dads for splicing harnesses $10-12 9. did the cv boots while everything was out another $50 Grand total for running van $1100 and it was well worth the money. If you have the diesel engine in there now that much the better because you can save on some of the above.

Time on the other hand was about 60Hrs not including the hours needed to redo somethings because I did dumb stuff like putting the trans and engine together without puting the trowout bearing on! If I was to do it again I could probably do it in 25Hrs or less since I know what to do and don't have to sit and think about it so long and don't have to go get tools or something like that. I would recommend finding someone with a conversion nearby, and really looking at the conversion so you have all the steps in your head before hand. One of the biggest time wasters on my conversion was getting the intake manifold clearanced so the it fit in the engine bay and a stupid starting problem caused by an over eager cold start valve that was flooding the engine.

Would I do it again, well, yes in a heart beat. It is sooooooo nice being able to pass people on the highway and to be able to climb hills and do all of it and still be able to hear the radio. All this and I'm getting 21-22 mpg.

Dave K.