Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Mar 2001 22:32:45 EST
From:         Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: exhaust nuts and bolts & other things
Comments: To: vanagon@tgoff2.gsfc.nasa.gov

In a message dated 3/15/01 4:58:39 PM, vanagon@TGOFF2.GSFC.NASA.GOV writes:

<< Is it an OK idea to replace the cylinder studs with stainless bolts? >>

Tom,

That's an excellent thing to do as long as you are sure to use capscrews which are not too long.

Incorrect Bolt Length Anecdote: Not long after they were introduced, I bought a new Honda Accord. I loved it, at first, but within 18 Kmi. loathing set in because about that time it blew its 3rd head gasket. Honda would not spring for a fourth one saying that the car was too old to be covered by there special head gasket extended warranty and, after all, they had already replaced the head gasket twice. I reminded them that it was not unheard of for a car to go more than 18 Kmi. with its original head gasket. Since I was starting to muck about in a quagmire of phone calls to all manner of departments and agencies with no end in sight, I decided to fix the head myself and then bid sianara to my Nipponese beauty.

I gathered all the pieces and starting early one Saturday morning I anticipated driving it to supper that night. I glanced at the shop manual and it seemed like a fairly straight forward job, so I went at it. What a pleasure it was to work on something that was not all corroded and stuck from heat and age. In short order, I was doing the final torquing of the head bolts. I had just torqued one of the bolts at the corner of the head and as I moved to the next in the sequence, I heard a PING from the bowels of Hell and the bolt I had just torqued shot out of the head and bounced off the ceiling. Thank God I was not poised over that thing when it let go or else I would still be sucking on it. When the dust settled, I gave the shop book a hard perusal and that was when I noticed a small asterisk by that particular bolt on the exploded view of the head. The asterisk led to a footnote which said to note that one bolt was 10 mm shorter that the others. Now, they tell me!

After getting it all together and wiring a toggle switch in parallel to the radiator fan switch so that I could do anticipatory cooling, I traded it to dealer for a Volvo which had 3 times the mileage and was 2 years older than the Accord. I used to get a perverse satisfaction thinking of the salesmen holding court during happy hour and boasting to his droogies how he took in a nearly new Accord from some schnook on an orange Volvo. But, I still have my front teeth and a 10 mm Helicoil kit by which to remember the Accord.

Rich