Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:19:52 MST
From:         Joe Fortino <biker.pride@USA.NET>
Subject:      Re: [85 Westy Brakelight Problem]
Comments: To: Dave Baker <DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM>

Dave, had the same issue when driving threw busy L.A, :( I got all the way home safely before buying a manual, long story short it was my connection

on the break-light switch under the steering colum. *

Joe

Dave Baker <DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM> wrote: After fixing my coolant problem the other night, I drove my 85 Westy to a

jazz band rehearsal. When I got to the rehearsal site, I noticed I had no brake lights. Came home very carefully afterwards and proceeded to analyze the situation. Here is what I have discovered along with some questions for the whizzes on the list:

-- When I remove the left rear tail light assembly, unplug the cables, and put a voltmeter across the brakelight wire (black/red), I notice it reads

battery voltage without the brake pedal being depressed. (The PO had put a splice in the wire which I disconnected, so there was no load from the right light on the circuit.)

-- When I reconnect the load, the voltage drops to around 2 volts -- not enough to light the bulbs. With the tail lights connected, but hanging by the cable, the brake lights work properly. When I re-install the tail light assembly, the lights stop working.

My first hypothesis was that I have a bad brake light switch that offers a high resistance path when open. With no load, there would be no current,

hence no voltage drop across the switch, and I would read 12 volts.

It's not that simple, however...

According to my Haynes manual, the output of the brake light switch connects to a point on the voltage regulator (C1 in the Haynes book). C1 is in turn jumpered to a point labeled E16, which is not identified in the manual.

It seems to me that this connection to the regulator could be the source of the 12 volt reading on the tail light switch, but I don't have enough information to confirm this.

So, my questions are:

1. Why is this brake light circuit routed through the voltage regulator?

2. Can anyone tell me what/where Haynes point E16 is???

Thanks in advance for your help out there in Vanagon Land!

Dave in KC 85 Westy (with no brake lights, but a working cooling system) http://members.fortunecity.com/davebaker1

VW addict

____________________________________________________________________ Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1