Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:37:19 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Golf II instruments fit Vanagon cluster? White faces?
              Backlighting?
Comments: To: SBirkner@earthlink.net
Comments: cc: subaruvanagon@yahoogroups.com

I believe, unless the Japanese market is very different, that the speedo cable should plug right in. All that cable does is count tire rotations. The only thing that would throw that off would be tire size differences between the 2 vehicles.

As far as converting to Backlit guages, the only way I can see that working is to swap out the whole cluster for one from a car that had backlit gauges. The current gauge faces are just sheets of tin or aluminum or thin steel. the gauge innards were never meant to be backlit.

Now that you have a gauge set up from a Golf II, you have a few options as far as the faces. Check out http://www.4130products.com/overlays/a2/ . I am still in the process of getting the white face gauges for the stock Vanagons, but I need to get a hold of a set of stock gauge faces to send to the guy so that templates can be made. If I had another vehicle, I could just use mine, but unfortunately, that van is my daily driver. ******************************************************************** A cable gearbox can correct rotation speed, so should be no problem there. The cable's a clip-on type, and may well fit the T3 speedo head. Haven't compared them yet.

You think the gauges have innards so bulky that they'd cast shadows on the faces if lights were set into the case's base? Maybe white LEDs could be installed in the side walls of the plastic casings, not too far in from the faces? I'll have to look into this (very recently I'd read that they hadn't been able yet to make white LEDs, but have since heard that they are available). Need to see if LED intensity can be varied by the instrument-lighting control.

I was thinking of making lighting color selectable (as in some car stereos). Fit a row of LEDs into the case, maybe 3-4cm "below" the face. Make these LEDS in sets of 6 each of one color, 6 of another... wired to a rotary switch, thence to the intensity controller. bored with white faces? switch to blue. or green, purple, red... only problem, how to make the needle visible? Any idea how to illuminate this?

If the backlighting idea is feasible I guess I'd have to get my own made. They'd have to be UV-proof white plastic, slightly translucent (must look opaque white in daylight), with opaque markings printed on. Black numbers, maybe green red zone (needs to be visible with all selectable colors). Have to remember to do the small inset faces for the temp & fuel gauges too.

Is the digital clock backlit or only illuminated by the cowl bulbs? Might be able to fit LEDs into the clock too.

Fitting a Japanese cluster would be great but a huge amount of work to finish so that it looks like it was made that way by the factory.

Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin, New Zealand fax 64 (3) 479-7527 <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> VW van (something for every man), Toyota diesel & seashell nut Macintosh 7500/200/64, 6116/60/24, LCIII, LC, Classic, Plus Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 10%