Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Mar 2001 23:14:34 -0500
From:         Kevin Hayden <sevenkevin@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Help! My Vanagon Won't Vanna Go!

Hi There!! :-)

I need some major help! My 1985 1.9L Vanagon died on me while entering the on-ramp for the highway. I couldn't get it started and had to have it towed home. I noticed that one of the spark plug wires had popped off the distributor cap but after replacing it, it still would only turn over--not start. It was not getting spark, so I removed the hall type distributor and replaced it with a breaker point one and hooked it up directly to the MSD 6A unit. Now I have spark but no gas seems to enter the cylinders. When removing the breather hose that goes into the fuel injection unit, I sprayed some starting fluid in and I got it to run for a few seconds. There is a metal T fitting with a bleeder screw that I broke loose and gas does come out. I did this by jumping the ECU connector as instructed in the manual. Any help, suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated since I'm new to owning a Vanagon and no mechanic around this area has a clue on what to do with it. Thanks for taking the time to read my posting and Have A GREAT Night!!

Kevin