Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Mar 2001 16:49:37 -0700
From:         Blake Thornton <thornton@MATH.UTAH.EDU>
Subject:      Head are done, rough idle

Description of some of the work I did (rough idle question at the bottom):

Well, I finished putting on my head this morning and got it all wrapped up. Overall, I would say I am very pleased with the way it all come together. Mostly it was easier then I had thought it would be and I am happy I did it - until it starts leaking again next week :)

I wrote up some of what I did and posted it. It not too complete, but it does have information on the amount of time I spent -- something I would have like to have known before I started. If you are interested, you can find this at: http://www.math.utah.edu/~thornton/vanagon/my-heads.shtml

As for specifics, I had trouble following the directions for adjusting the lifters. I wasn't sure to turn the adjuting screws two full turns or one half a turn like some in the archives suggested. So, I took some liberty and turned them about a half a turn after they started getting tight. This made it between a half a turn to almost two turns for each adjusting screw. I hope I didn't screw it up by doing this. Any ideas????

The engine started right up and I put the coolant in as everyone suggests. I hadn't done this before (I'm lazy I guess) and I found this to be a miserable job. I slopped I ton of coolant on the ground and make a smoke screen as the coolant spilled on the exhaust pipes, but I think I got it done alright. The temperature level was ok when I drove it around.

It runs great, but the idle is quite rough. Could this be because I adjusted the lifters poorly? This is the only part of the job that I was not too confident in my work. How can I tell if this is the problem?

Any other ideas? I suppose I'll do an archives search for rough idle, but can anyone think of something I could have disturbed when putting my heads back on.

Thanks in advance.

Blake 84 Westy SLC Utah