Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:00:35 EST
From:         Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: . . .  & Those Damn Shear Bolts
Comments: To: dbeierl@attglobal.net

In a message dated 3/22/01 10:35:20 AM, dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET writes:

<< Dropping the column allows you to drill the hole into the steering lock assembly so you can remove the lock cylinder.>>

I wish I could figure out where THE hole has to be drilled which requires the steering column to be dropped. If you have ever had the steering/ignition lock assembly apart, you must realize that there are numerous ways to defeat it with the steering column in place. Some ways are quite elegant, some pretty crude but effective. One of the most basic ways would be to use ANY Vanagon key, even a blank, and a pair of Vise-Grips or a small pipe wrench. Hell, even a Volvo key will work. I will leave it to you to divulge the more sublime methods.

<< You can remove the entire steering lock without dropping the column, but this now requires considerable work and special tools to replace (and you still have to drill the hole to get the lock cylinder out). >>

If you have the steering lock housing in your hands, which, by the way, first requires the steering wheel to be removed, why would you ever drill THE hole and replace it? Would it not make more sense to pop out the ignition switch and operate it with a screwdriver?

<<Another point to consider: if the shearing heads are to control install torque, why work so hard to make them difficult to remove afterwards?>>

Yeah, real hard to remove. Most guys do it with a pair of Chinese knockoff Vise-Grips. Anyway, if they wanted to make it hard to remove, they would have used something like a Huck bolt.

<<If the bolts themselves are designed to shear off in a collision (and just what sort of collision would apply shear forces to these largely vertical bolts?), what does the install torque have to do with it?>>

I prefer to use the term shear HEAD bolt to avoid this misconception that these fasteners are designed to fail in shear. I think they are used merely as a means to quickly assure that they were tightened to a minimally acceptable torque value.

Rich