Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:06:05 -0700
From:         Larry Hamm <ldhamm@XMISSION.COM>
Subject:      Re: REAR  HEATER  VALVE - 'Not' Understood (Sorry Zoltan)

David Beierl wrote: > > At 09:03 AM 3/27/2001, Karl Wolz wrote: > >Is the Soob swap such a marginal solution that it requires a heater to be > >on constantly? Or does yours have a problem? This is the first I have > >heard of this. > > The design of the Subaru cooling system assumes (and requires) flow through > the heater loop at all times. I'm not sure, but I think that without this > the thermostat will not open and the engine will overheat with the > thermostat still closed. > Karl, David is correct on this. The Legacy NA is an open deck engine, and as such, is happier with less thermal cycling. Thus, the engine has the thermostat on the inlet to the engine, instead of the outlet like most other engines. This serves to keep the engine in a very narrow temp range, but it relies on a bypass loop to tell the thermostat when to take a drink of cool water. Most convertors use the heater loop as the bypass, thus the need to keep at least one heater valve open at all times. Usually it's the rear that gets locked in the open position. There's nothing marginal about the Soob solution, I can assure you! Larry