Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:34:38 +1000
From:         P&J Lander <pjlander@OZEMAIL.COM.AU>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Re: Ronal 16" Rims available from Van-Again Now!
Comments: To: Derek Drew <derekdrew@rcn.com>
Comments: cc: Syncro@yahoogroups.com

My alloy wheels are 15 X 7 ET24 and they only just clear the sliding door so I think that ET0 could cause problems.

Phill Lander

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~pjlander/volkswagen_syncro.htm

----- Original Message ----- From: Derek Drew To: VANAGON@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Cc: Syncro@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2001 6:49 AM Subject: [Syncro] Re: Ronal 16" Rims available from Van-Again Now!

I advise caution about these Ronal wheels fellow listers.

The smallest ET that I have heard of being used typically with Vanagon is ET23 whereas the factory ETs are ET30 or ET34 range.

So, having access to a rim that has ET of 0 seems different from the factory ETs to a degree that seems large or borders on extreme. I would also be cautious about ET15.

The problem with an ET that is mismatched to the vehicles OEM specs is either that the tire will hit someplace, or more importantly that the wheel will not sit on the bearings the way the manufacturer intended, which can lead to premature bearing wear. Most articles I have read about wheels are very explicit about the importance of keeping to a factory ET in order to minimize bearing wear.

The main reason for selecting 16" wheels over 15" wheels is so that very large diameter tires can used, in my view. Such very large tires, however, easily hit the sliding door and other body panel parts and so a very small ET, such as ET15, may have a worse tendency to cause the tires to hit. You can read about some of the hitting problems in the large tires article referenced in my Vanagon SIG below.

I think we should keep looking until we find a 16" wheel in the range of ET25 to ET28 or so, which seems to be an ideal range. If these cannot be located, I am quite certain that there are ET23-ET25 wheels to be had, which I judge a safer bet than ET15.