Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Mar 2001 21:24:30 -0600
From:         "Smola, Tony" <TSmola@TRIBUNE.COM>
Subject:      HORROR STORY

When I had my front wheels balanced at a local allignment shop, the guy who did the speed balance, lifted on the gas tank supports and crushed the gas tank. I showed him the damage and gave him an estimate for a new tank and hoses. He asked if he could do the work to save on labor. I agreed if he would install a gel-coated tank and replace all of the vent lines and fuel lines and grommets. The loaner car he gave me was a 83' Tempo with no operable windows, no A/C and smelled like mildew. When I picked up the van 4 days later I noticed he had installed a nasty junk yard tank which spilled gas when filled up ( probably those vent lines). Anyway called him and told him I was going to bring the van back to him to do the job rightthe next week. Of course the next day on the way to work, the fuel pump failed. I took it to the dealer, chunks of rust had gone from the tank into the pump and locked it up. ( no filter between the tank and pump) I had the mechanic that screwed the whole thing up go to the dealer to confirm that the tank had chunks of rust floating in it. When the service manager gave him a hard time for doing such a shoddy job he agreed to pay for a new VW tank, a new fuel pump, sending unit and all of the necessary hoses. The total was over a $1000. And he had to pay for the car rental ( 2000 jetta) for 3 days.

So the horror story has a happy ending, but only after alot of anguish, being late to work twice. Driving a Tempo for 4 days. And the grilling by the wife who said I should have demanded the new tank by the dealer in the first place. I fought for her like a knight when her car was damaged by the valet. And here I slack on my own behalf just because I felt sorry for that mechanic who crushed the tank. I lucked out. He could have fought it all the way until small claims court.

So protect your own ass and get the job done right, especially on a van which you drive into the boonies, ( westy)

Is there a filter that goes between the tank and the pump? I have the new tank design with the larger diameter feed line.

Malibu Tony 85' Westy 8 degrees BTDC