Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Mar 2001 04:34:59 -0600
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Strange" no start" symptoms(long)

Running out of patience with my 90 GL. After removingthe old motor and installing a 1'2 Lilley from Bob, I get ready to start the engine and it doesn't want tot fire.

I check the conections, I check for spark, I open up the fuel T and there's gas getting that far.

One thing that appears to be different from before the engine R&R is that now, when I turn on the ignition switch, my accessory vdo op and oil temp gauges rise up to their mormal "0" location, but when the starter is engaged, both needles drop way back to the left of their normal resting spots, almost as if there's a short or the polarity of the gauge wires is getting reversed(they haven't been at least by my hands and they worked fine before the swap).

After grinding on the starter for 20-25 seconds, when the key returns to the ignition on position, the oil pressure gauge begins reading a drop from a 30 pound reading or so What's going on here???.

Some off list help from Darrell B. steered me to try a different ECU to see ifthat would get the van going, NOT SO! The van has actually coughed and tried to start a couple times, but instantly quits. Pulling the plugs reveals a very wet porcelain center. I pulled each injector bank outindividually and did the crank test, but the spray of the injectors was just that, more of a constant spray than a pulsing type effect like I was led to believe it should be. I guess they could be pulsing and it just seemed like a spray as I haven't any experience in watching injectors.

I was really hoping to use the old FI system to break in the new motor for the first 1000 miles or so and then switch over to the new Haltech system, but now I'm forging ahead with the rewiring of the back end of the van and installing what will hopefully fix the problem. A long article is brewing on the ups and downs of the haltech installation, but hopefully it will all be worth it in the end. I really want to hear this motor run.

As an aside, it's been interesting watching the cooling system slowly fill up as the back end is elevated at this time. Initially got about 2 gallons in the totally dry system,then opened up the air bleed on the top of the T stat housing and another gallon or so went in, and every day or so for thew last 10 or so days, the expansion tank level will drop, and I'll add more coolant. I've got almost all of the 4 gallons that was premixed, and should then only have another half gallon to go while doing that all-important first 30 min of engine running.

Can anybody help me with my starting problem?? TIA

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel