Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:04:50 +0100
From:         Peter Cassidy <pcassidy@APPLE.COM>
Subject:      Kamei Vanagon lighting update

Hi all,

Here's the continuing stoooory of Vanagon aftermarket lighting. I generated a storm of interest from folks on the list as to how to get the things and what they're like. So, here are the details;

- Lighting kit costs £150 (about US$215) + s/h. Shipping overnight here to Ireland cost £40 - ouch!

- For that, you get a pair of Hella H4s + 60/55w bulbs, a pair of Hella H1 auxiliary lamps + 55w bulb. It's also fitted and supplied with Euro-style parking lights & bulbs. Both lights are actually the same size and are both rectangular Hella E-code lights. These appear to be excellent on inspection.

- Note that these lights appear to be replacements for the older round H4s & thus require H4 connectors. I got a pair of H4 connectors from a scrapper & will blend them into the original circuit.

- Provided with the two lights are two bezels and a centre grille piece with a VW badge on it. This is where I was really disappointed. The bezels have the lights directly attached to them via cheapo wingnut adjusters. The plastic is lightweight, bendy & looks cheaply made. There are no longer any light 'buckets', a la Volkswagen. Given the quality of the Hella lights and the fact that they're E-code (and that I've already paid for them!), I'll give it a try. The VW grill badge looks cheapo - I'm going to try to transfer over the VW one. The grill may also benefit from a body-matched spray job. We'll see .......

- Appearance-wise, I haven't yet fitted them to my '88 rectangular- light Vanagon, but the appearance should be a lot like the famous Projektzwo van. The dimensions are quite similar, tho' the grill is a 3-piece one.

- I've nothing to do with any of these companies. I'm just passing on useful information. YMMV. Indeed, a helpful lurker on one of the UK T25 sites (www.club80-90.co.uk) passed on the tip to me.

- Whenever I get the conversion fitted (this weekend??), I'll post pics of before, during and after & my opinions on the lighting improvements. I'll also be upgrading the harness/relays to take 80w bulbs.

- Source of this kit? VolksMagic in the West Midlands, UK. +44-121-541-2278. They can also provide the standard H4 replacement lights (£250 - ouch again!)

More later!

Pete C

-- Peter Cassidy, pcassidy@apple.com Sr. Dev. Engineer +353-21-4284316 WW Operations Engineering Apple, Cork, Ireland.