Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:53:50 -0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Reinforced Tires - was Yokohama Tires Revisited

Andrew -

I agree that any suitably sized tire designed for a heavy vehicle will carry the load, but -

The important thing for people in the US to remember is that there aren't many P sized tires (P185, P205) for passenger cars that have a load rating and handle the pressures which VW recommends.

The door sticker on my '87 Westy says 185R14 39 psi front 48 psi rear. For the 205/70R14, you can run 40 in the rear, but the recommended load rating is 97.

The Conti's look like a decent tire, but their recommended max pressure is only 40 psi. By comparison the 185/70 Michelin Agilis has a load rating of 99, 1609# capacity at a max pressure of 54 psi.

Especially with a Westy, which is tall and heavy, a stiff tire running at 40-50 psi on the rear will make a significant difference in the way it handles. Yes, I know that tire technology keeps changing, but I would have to have a good reason to wander too far from the door sticker.

Have fun, and play safe!

- Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, Idaho (who drives on a lot of Forest Service roads, and likes his Kumho 852 Light Truck tires)

Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:12:35 +1200 From: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ> Subject: Re: Reinforced Tires - was Yokohama Tires Revisited

>Chad - > >There has been a lot of talk about reinforced tires over the years. Could >you take a look at those and see what the maximum pressure and carrying >capacity is? Do they also have a load rating number? It would be a two or >three digit number like 95 or 103. > >I've always been curious about how they compare to the light truck tires I >have been using. The door sticker on my Westy says to use 185/14 PR, >(which >I assume means reinforced) or 205/14 97 (load rating 97 ~ 1600# carrying >capacity).

ANY tire designed for a really heavy car would be suitable loadingwise for a Vanagon. Mercedes S-Class (which these days run low-profiles) or even an old Galaxie landbarge. You don't need ill-handling truck tires.