Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:30:53 -0500
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      Slow diesels, underpowered vans
Comments: To: Leon Korkin <korkwood@surfree.com>

Leon: > The vehicles of the size and weight of Vanagon, especialy Westy are powered > with V6 200hp now days. > The 2.1l wasserboxer is lacking power for safe freeway driving, I have driven my Caravelle in all kinds of high speed traffic. The PO reported driving typically at 70 MPH daily. I have never had any problem in getting the van to speed and maintaining it at 65 - 70 MPH; even with 160 K on the odometer it cruises all day long at 70. Hans got his name from climbing hills in WVa at a pace that just amazed me. I had to give him an Alpine mountain climber's name.

In two way traffic , on smaller state routes, I do have trouble passing others because of a lack of acceleration; but with planning, I do often pass.

> the diesel is just a joke, don't waist your money. I've talked to several diesel owners who love their stinky vans! Thank God for diversity in all things.

-- Stephen Steele Chillicothe OH '91 Caravelle "Hans" '84 Westfalia "Fritz" '81 Diesel Rabbit "Ol' Yeller" by PO '90 Jetta GL 16 yo Sons' "we bought it together" car '74 MGB "Terrance" My first car...yep, I've kept it since '74 '93 Chevy S-10 I hate it ... but sometimes I need a truck