Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:46:03 -0800
From:         Craig Spaeth <spaeth@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Re: To Diesel or not to Diesel

To compare a diesel Westy to a new TDI is not a very fair way to let this guy know about driving a diesel Westy. You need lots of patience in a diesel Westy. We had one for almost a year. It was really nice when we used it for just camping. We started using it for everyday use and it was just too slow. Ours had a top speed of 60 (it would do 65 but was wound up really tight and would use a ton of oil at 65.) 40-45mph was quite often seen on the regular freeway style hills. This is not mountain grades but regular rolling hills. If 30mpg and sleeping four is your main concern, go for it. We sold ours because it was too slow. I have two little girsl (one and five years old) and when they go to sleep you want to be able to cover some ground. In the 90 Multi van we can cruise easily at 65-70 and the same hills that we did at 45 in the diesel, we don't even notice anymore. We get 15-18mpg now which hurts. The diesel is also very loud at cruise. The new TDI's are like very similar to their gas drinking brethren with similar power and amenities. The diesel Westy is nothing like a gas powered one. If slowness is a concern it is probably too slow for you. If slowness does not matter and mileage is your big deal, there are not many vehicles that get 30mpg sleep 4 and you can have your morning hot chocolate before you open the door. Good luck deciding. This is based on actually owning and driving a 4spd diesel. If you talk about putting in 5spd trannies and TDI motors than sure that would be a different tale altogether, but this is my two cents on owning and driving a diesel. One other thing your mpg is way better but the diesels tend to use oil a lot quicker. hope this helps, Craig the Gorge VW club gorgevwclub.com