Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Mar 2001 07:37:49 -0500
From:         Tim Hannink <THANNINK@MASTEC.COM>
Subject:      FW: Ronal 16" Rims---Offset

A key measurement for wheel clearance on a 2wd Vanagon is the distance between the upper control arm and the inside edge of the wheel. This will change with offset and with wheel diameter. I have a set of 14" x 6.5" ET-22 wheels and I have 3/8" of clearance between the upper control arm and the inside edge of the wheel. My stock 14" x 5.5" ET-35 wheels had the same amount of clearance, as did my 14" x 6" ET-30 alloy wheels.

A 14" x 6.5" ET-30 wheel would have close to "0" clearance between the control arm and the inside edge. A 14" x 7" wheel would need to have an offset of 15-18mm to provide enough upper control arm clearance.

When you go to 15" or 16" wheels, the amount of distance between the upper control arm and the wheel increases so the amount of offset can also increase.

Tim Hannink Winter Park, Florida Goldibox - 1987 Wolfsburg Edition Westfalia Camper