Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:11:49 -0500
From:         Kenneth Madsen <ncc0778@CORP.ATTCANADA.CA>
Subject:      Re: Subaru conversion

My Golf Diesel has 450,000 km and still pulls like a champ! Original alternator,clutch, pump and starter. Haven't touched the block except for glow plugs and a minor pump adjustment. Will cruise at 120 km/h all day. Another testimony to VW's bulletproof inline 4 design. My secret: regular oil and filter change.

Ken Madsen, Toronto, Ontario 87GL 87 Golf Diesel 95 Jetta GLX

-----Original Message----- From: David Marshall [mailto:vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG] Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 2:16 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Subaru conversion

Leon, I tend to be very realistic too. Many many people and you seem to be one of them feel that Volkswagen can't make a decent water-cooled motor. Well, you are wrong - very wrong. The wasserboxer was not one of Volkswagen's best achievements - we all know that - that's why the wasserboxer lived less than 10 years in total, but the Inline four and five cylinder engines are totally fantastic and are about one of the best engines out there - I have a 1.5L Audi Fox engine here with 500,000+ km on it and there is still 140PSI on all four cylinders and it is still revved up to about 7000rpm on a weekly basis! Why do you think Volkswagen didn't change the design of the I4 from the Audi 50 in 1973 to the end of the Jetta A3 series in 1999 other than bore and stoke - the engine worked very very well and it lasts a long time. The new Jetta A4 series engines are the same design as the older series engines in a lot of respects, just that things like the motor mount bolt bosses are now all different as VW no longer needs to bolt these engines into an A1 chassis nor into a T3 chassis like the older engines.

My reasoning to stay with a Volkswagen engine does have sound merit other than being a VW "purist" which I am not. The number one problem I have with installing a "foreign" engine into your Vanagon is who is going to do the servicing? For some people out there, they are going to do their own servicing so this leaves this wide open to whatever they feel they can service the best back there, which is great - more power to them and if things go wrong they have themselves to blame. For MOST people out there, they want something that works and if it breaks they want to take it to their friendly VW mechanic who serviced their VW in the past [prior to the engine conversion] - be it the VW dealer or the VW guru down the street. Most mechanics who are good a VW mechanics tend to specialize in only VW / Audi stuff and don't get into other makes [yes there are exceptions to every rule]. Say you loaded up your family into your Vanagon and decided to head across America in the ultimate road trip. For most Vanagon owners this is a regular occurrence and is not out of the ordinary. Say you run into problems and your engine isn't running quite right or one of your water hoses failed or this or that or what have you. Where would you take your van? Don't tell me you would fix it there on the spot with the big box of tools and spare [custom] parts you have under your seat - it just isn't happening. Your significant other will want you going as soon as possible with the least amount of hassle - so what if the Visa card takes a hit - she/he just wants to get going as soon a unhumanly possible. So, you would take it to... the Subaru dealer... no, they'll look at the boxer engine back there and say... who put that in Volkswagen? We're not touching that as who knows what were getting ourselves into! Don't say it doesn't happen as many Subagon owners have told me this same story - the official Subaru line is the engine doesn't exist if it is not installed in a Subaru. If you took your van to the VW dealer or just the VW guru they would say - why is a Golf engine in the back of this Vanagon? Well, it is all VW stuff, all VW wiring, all VW FI all VW hoses and all setup exactly the way it should be in a VW Golf... so hey - no problem! We can deal with this!

Also, it looks like you have a power fetish happening there... most people are VERY happy to have 105 real hp in their Vanagon instead of what ever their worn out boxer gave them - or if you are on a real kick a 2.0L 115hp engine will do quite well too. My 105hp 1.8L Westfalia can do 75mph all day which is good enough for a speeding ticket any day of the week. Speed is NOT what a Vanagon is about! If it is, install a Corrado G60 engine in there are have 158hp the way Volkswagen would do it.

So, I don't think you are being totally realistic here... yes the Subaru engine gives you more power and no doubt you can look after it yourself and it is suiting your needs, but for the average Joe out there who is looking to get their beloved Vanagon rolling again for under $2000 think the VW I4s are a very nice solution to their problem. No ground clearance issues, no smog issues if done right, no low slung exhaust systems, no funky cooling systems - just a simple, inexpensive, serviceable, reliable power plant that VW should have installed in there to begin with - heck it even has more power than the boxer - go figure!

David Marshall

Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3 mailto:info@fastforward.ca http://www.fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

. Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions . Transporter, Unimog and Iltis Sales . European Lighting for most Audi and Volkswagen models