Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:54:07 -0600
From:         Wade Ebert <monster51@SPRINGNET1.COM>
Subject:      Re: Simpler Alternative to welding body panels
Comments: To: CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET

Terry, Read the post. I weld where they weld. I glue WITH THEIR GLUE where they glue. No offense Terry but, your reference to "stronger than a weld" show's your level of awareness here. It is not my job to reengineer that which transports, surrounds and protects someone engaged in the combat that is daily driving. Again read the post. No more words can make my position any more clear. But for the benefit of those observing.....You could seam weld every panel and piece of structure on a unibody vehicle and that would make it a death trap You will have altered the pulse points for airbag deployment and will have altered the way the vehicle was designed to store energy in specific places, direct energy around specific places, absorb energy in specific places and release energy in specific ways. This is why spot welds in quarter panel wheel wells release one at a time in a pop pop pop sequence, managing the energy, localizing the damage rather than transferring it throughout the vehicle. The exact reason that the steering column is convoluted and is mounted with shear bolts.

Structural adhesives should work for you just the way they work for the factory in factory specific applications and areas in a factory clean environment with the proper adhesives and chemicals for cleaning panels at your disposal.

We've been using 3M doorskin bonding adhesive since it has been available and has been used by the OEM.

We don't splice quarter panels below the glass openings, we don't clip cars, we don't use salvage structural parts, we don't put four pounds of bondo on panels when they should have been replaced, we don't get paid to replace things we did not. A repaired vehicle is a repaired vehicle, period, it is never "as good as new" that is not possible, but a consumer should have a reasonable expectation that the vehicle has been repaired as nearly as available technology allows to its preloss conditon. Our final bills reflect what was really done to the vehicle, the true course and cost of repairs. I expect to be paid for exactly what I do as contracted by the consumer. I shoulder the liability of the repairs performed here.

Now then, anyone want to discuss diminished value?

Wade Ebert American Auto Body Springfield IL

----- Original Message ----- From: Terry Kay <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2001 9:42 PM Subject: Re: Simpler Alternative to welding body panels