Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Mar 2001 03:43:58 -0800
From:         VW Addict aka The Bus Nut <solomon_scott@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Subaru conversion

I think that the best way to make an informed decision would be to price some of the parts for both engines. Go look and see how long each engine lasts. Look at the price of the conversion kits and parts required. Are VW or Suburu parts easier to get in your area? Does it bother you to have a mix of parts or is that OK with you. If possible, drive two vans, one with a Sub, and one with a VW I-4. I am sure you can find both a VW I-4 and Suburu engine for less than $400, just be sure they are worth it. The Sub will be full electronic Fuel Injection, the VW can be CIS (mechanical) or Digijet/Digifant or Motronic electronic FI. What do you prefer? Suburu is a Water Boxer just like the 1.9L/2.1L you have. The VW I-4 is the more common inline type. What do you prefer? If you are real good with do-it-yourself building the VW I-4 can be done cheaper, but you will need to scrounge up Diesel parts. If not, kits exsist for both. If you had unlimited funds (I Wish) you can get drop it complete engine kits with all new parts ready to swap, but you will need about $4000. Bottom line is, one engine is not better than the other, but one will be better for you and your Vanagon. Ask a lot of questions, explore the possiblities, look at the budget, then make a choice and stick with it. I chose the VW I-4, you may not, thats OK. My dream engine would be the Mitsubishi 3.0L V6, but it just will not fit like I want it to and I am afraid I would break something with all that power. Have fun with what ever you choose.

--- David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG> wrote: > I think Chris Stann has my feelings at heart too! Keep it a Volkswagen, or > at the least keep it German with an Audi engine. > > I have not personally installed a Subaru engine but I have a fair idea what > is required. I feel the I4 engines are simpler to install especially if you > get someone [like us] to do the wiring harness for you - both KEPs and Fast > Forward's kits require minor fabrication of some parts - it takes a little > thinking for installing both. BOTH conversions have their pluses and > minuses. I openly state that I am biased towards the I4 conversions, this > is what I do during my evenings and weekends! I am sure by the end of the > day you will see arguments for both. > > If you have any questions about I4 conversions please let me know, I will > try my best to assist you. > > > David Marshall > > Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning > 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road > Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3 > mailto:info@fastforward.ca http://www.fastforward.ca > Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160 > > • Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions > • Transporter, Unimog and Iltis Sales > • European Lighting for most Audi and Volkswagen models > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf > Of dawn > Sent: March 28, 2001 9:41 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: subaru conversion > > > Is the subaru conversion easier than the i-4 conversion? I can get a > legacy motor for 375.00 > Darrel 88