Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Mar 2001 17:16:06 EST
From:         Thomas Ryan <Trawlertom@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Coolant System Pressurization Woes

So here's the thing.

About 15 months ago I changed out the 300K engine on my 1989 GL 'cause I was suffering from a lack of confidence in an engine that was so old and that I have to take far into the desert. Big mistake!

My mechanic, in whom I've developed some confidence over the years, assured me that the new engine was coming from a highly reliable rebuilder whom he personally knew. Turned out there were some logistic screw-ups and I ended up with an engine from a big production house in SoCal. GEX or GTX or something like that.

So after about 3000 miles I was introduced to the dreaded blinking red coolant light and the causative coolant system pressurization. We weren't, at that time (or all through the year 2000) familiar with this list and all of the collective wisdom resident thereon so we groped along for the rest of the year trying to figure out what was going on; changing out parts, and putting more miles on the machine as the symptoms became progressively more frequent.

Finally the problem was properly (I think) diagnosed as a leaky head which was pressurizing the coolant system. By then, of course, we had run out of warranty but were able to get two new (rebuilt) heads provided by the rebuilder.

With new heads installed all was fine for another 3000 miles. Then the blinking red light and pressurized coolant system is back! As in the previous months of the problem, with the old (new) heads, the pressurization at first occurs only sporadically; usually after a prolonged period of driving and then following a short stop.

We are currently communicating with the rebuilder but there are many reasons why I expect that there will not be any relief there.

I need to find some maintenance procedure that will resolve this problem and get me my old vanagon back. I'm beginning to suspect that the problem may be in the match between the head and the cylinder. Scott Foss alluded to this possibility in his 3-19 message. If such is the case I'm not sure of my best course of action. My recent arrival to this list has made me a lot better informed about the problem but not much better informed about a solution.

Perhaps, my only recourse would be to buy a new engine from this guy Boston Bob,who seems to enjoy so much respect among listees.

All technical or philosophical advice would be welcome. The vanagon is currently in the shop. I'm driving my mechanic's diesel rabbit. I don't want to have to buy a new car cause the vanagon is just too cool but I need relatively dependable wheels.

Wadaya think?