Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Apr 2001 11:51:22 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: VR-6; German disc-brake conversions

>I wish I could read German. Looks like the VR-6 swap has been done. >Check it out. >http://www.mft-berlin.de/bus.html

It's a popular conversion in der Vaterland, where kits are available. Jurgen Gembler has one too, with Porsche G50 trans:

www.bulli-forum.de/whitestar

>Yes - but did you see the Porsche 4wheel disk brakes? >It appears that they offer a kit for 4800DM (installed) About $2,100.

That will be Oettinger's kit. It is TUV-rated to only 185kmh. Ugly parts too... I was sent jpegs of the rear brakes.

Hansen Motorsport offers a twin-turbo Porsche 993 front disc conversion (requires 17" wheels; my 16" CLK wheels' internal diameter was just 3mm too small); they are working on rear-disc kit. I can send jpegs of the front kit in place on a T3 (sent to me by Raimund Feussner) to anyone interested; apart from the top quality, they look beautiful. You'd want wheels with lots of big openings to show them off.

Here is Hansen's reply to me:

"Yes, developed several Porsche-Brake-Kits for the VW T3. We do have a Kit with Porsche 993 Turbo Discs and Calipers. We, also do have Kits with all newer Porschecomponents (Boxter, Boxter S, 993 Carrera, 993 Turbo, 996 Carrera, 996 Turbo, GT2, GT3 ...). All Kits are for the frontaxle only. But we are actually developing a rearaxle brakekit that uses the the original handbrake-cable. On the other hand, the smallest Brake (Boxter) is rated, and allready testet by TUV, for 200 km/h. The 993 Turbo Brake is rated 250 km/h. All ratings with the original drums in rear.

"The main Problem will be the size of your wheels. The only brake that uses the 5/112 boltpattern ist the 993 Turbo-Kit. This Kit also doesn't change the axle-width. This kit is the best, for use with wheels that fit on the original front-axle. But this brake usualy requires 17" wheels for clearance. The min. inner diameter of the wheel must be at least 365mm. A break that would fit with the diameter, would be the Boxter-brake. But this Brake (like all the others) changes the boltpattern to 5/130 and the axle width is change by +70mm. These Brakes are perfect for use with Porsche-wheels.

"All Kits include new Porsche-calipers, new Porsche-rotors, new Porsche-brakepads, a set of stainless-steel brakelines (front ans rear), all adaptors machined out of aircraftspec. aluminium, hubs (usualy in excange of the old original rotors), and shims/bolts.

"Prices start at DM2800,-- the boxter-kit, DM 4300,-- the 993 turbokit. GT2 an GT3 Kits are very expensive (DM 13000,--).

"Aktualy the big problem in your case is the the Kit would ether change the boltpatterns or the diameter will be to big (i guess, you could measure the wheels. there are a few 16" wheels that have enough clearance).

"The other posibility is, that we could custombuild a brakekit for you. These could contain Brembo or AP-Racing parts. With these parts we could build a brake that fits perfect for you. Also posible is the use of Porsche-Calipers with AP and Brembo discs. If you are interested in this, mail us the desired size and brand and we could give you a price (because prices differ a lot)."

Jens Hansen is very helpful and replies readily to all questions, even after I told him it will be a long time before i actually place an order (which I fully intend to do). He is also happy to sell the adaptors only if you wish to source your own used factory Porsche parts.

Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin, New Zealand fax 64 (3) 479-7527 <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> VW van (something for every man), Toyota diesel & seashell nut Macintosh 7500/200/64, 6116/60/24, LCIII, LC, Classic, Plus *Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that we are the TOP 10% *Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form - New York Times, November 26, 1991 *A 766mHz Mac G4 is 45% faster than a 1500mHz Pentium 4