Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Apr 2001 19:43:19 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      :      Re: Power...Power...Power... Can be found in the
              WBX...Counter-weighting
Comments: To: andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz

<<While I am well aware that a VW boxer will happily rev to 8000rpm (my 57with 1600 & original split-case trans would do this in 3rd no problems onlevel roads), think of what it's doing to the crank and other rotary & reciprocating internals. The crank has effectively only 3 main-bearings,and each pair (1-2, 3-4) of rods is on an unsupported and flexing sectionof crankshaft. You'll be flogging out the mains and big-ends, putting sideloadings on the rods & pistons/bores and the crank is liable to eventuallybreak between these unsupported big-ends.>>>

TRUE, in stock form, a 1600 it would self destruct BUT:

The WBX is far from a warmed over 1600...

COUNTER-WEIGHTING and A BALANCING job...PLUS the right parts can make it live...

THAT is the purpose of ADDING counterweights, full race balancing and BUILDING it to go that high and live, plus normally you do not take it that high and keep it there...

The accessories become the limiting factor when going past the WBX 6000 red line anyway. I do not take it that high and "MOST" Vanagon owners do not want power where they do not drive. I find I do not have to take it past ~4000 in daily driving, except to get on a freeway, otherwise I would be running into the rear of many cars in front during traffic.

Plus how are the other engines during SLOW traffic? I can take my engine down to smooth ~1500 with no lugging and pull up to smooth 5000 rpms.

Lets not get caught up in the "my engine is bigger than your engine" and look for real solutions to the problem. While converting is for some, others just want to make what they have better.

The whole point of what I did, along with others, was to take the engine that came in the U.S. (and others that are similar) Vanagons and address the problems to make it better, to focus on fixing the problems making it better, fixing common problems to the engine long block, in order to make it stronger and last longer...For those that do not want to swap...

Robert "Lilley 2" in development "You can have a Lilley 2"

[text/html]