Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:04:06 +0200
From:         Stebbins <stebbins@AUCEGYPT.EDU>
Subject:      Cairo Report: Desert Oasis trip (long)

This is our report on our recent trip around Egypt's Western Desert Oasis Loop. If you like maps and want to follow along try: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/Libs/PCL/Map_collection/africa/Egypt_rel97.jpg for an overall map of Egypt. For general web pages of the items on our trip try http://www.egyptvoyager.com/oases_egyptian_frameset.htm .

First, some idea of our planned route: we decided to head south from Cairo along what's called the Cairo-Asyut desert road (not on the URL map). This is a relatively new road, and parallels the Nile Valley on its west side, running through the desert. The road makes the trip to Asyut (or so we'd read) much quicker than traveling through the Nile Valley, where the road is well traveled and passes through many small villages and towns. We planned to stay overnight near Asyut and the next day head southwest to Kharga oasis, spend a couple of days there, then travel west to Dakhla oasis, also for a couple of days, northwest to Farafra (not on URL map) oasis for the same time, slightly northeast to Bahariya oasis for a day or two, and then continue northeast back to Cairo – traveling in a roughly teardrop-shaped loop.

The trip was complete with van problems and solutions. The words below constitute my touch up of my wife's (Pat) rendering of our trip, I've edited it for a bit more vanagon content. Again, if you are interested in our photos, go to www.photopoint.com and type in stebbins@aucegypt.edu in the upper right hand corner where it says “Visit Albums”, guest book. These pictures are called Desert Oasis Trip, or some such. Be warned that there are over 90 photos.

As with our Sinai trip, we took off on our western desert oasis trip with somewhat low expectations – in fact, one of our main motivations to take the trip was simply to “do it”. Also as with the Sinai trip, however, we were pleasantly surprised by what we found, and had a few “adventures” to boot.

However, as with many plans (and certainly so in Egypt), one needs a little flexibility … We made a good start out of Cairo, found the Asyut desert road with no problem (actually, we scouted it out a few days earlier), and off we went. The trip was mostly uneventful for several hours, as we traveled through rather monotonous desert scenery, broken occasionally by the ubiquitous police checks (where we're asked our nationalities, where we've come from and where we’re going – ostensibly so our whereabouts are known as we venture into the desert. Also, the officer writes down our auto license number. We found, perhaps due to ingenuity, or lack of proper supplies, that officers often used their hand, or a newspaper, on which to write this information – so we gained very little confidence that, were we actually lost in the desert, anyone would be able to find our license number, let alone us (once the hand had been washed and the newspaper thrown away).)

As we neared Asyut, the police checks became more thorough, more details, then at one police check we were told to pull over and wait, we did - 15 minutes, until a car full of army officers arrived to escort us to the next police check 50 kms down the road, were we waited again for 15 to 20 minutes for an army escort to come from the next police check to get us to escort us again! This went on until we were told that we could no longer continue along the Asyut desert road, but must travel, with a police escort, east to the Nile, and then along the Nile Valley to Asyut. This surprised me greatly, since I thought it was travel along the Nile by lone tourists that the police were anxious about. At this point, we were maybe 20-30 kilometres from Asyut, and since it’s not a good idea to argue with the police, off we went toward the Nile, with another (of what turned out to be six) escorts – this time, five or six military types riding in what’s called a “Hummer” – sort of a squat jeep on steroids! What with driving behind police escorts, being dropped off at the end of one escort’s range and waiting for the next escort, we took about 7 hours to reach Asyut from Cairo, not the 3 or 4 we’d originally anticipated.

Normally, this wouldn’t have been a problem. But we’d planned to make our first night’s stop the rest house of the Coptic (Christian) Convent of the Virgin Mary, in a small town outside of Asyut – and their doors closed at 6 p.m. At about 6:10 p.m., we, and our latest escort, arrived at the Convent. The police, not at all perturbed that the place was obviously closed for the night, banged on the door. A Coptic priest and nun answered, let us in and very graciously agreed that we could stay the night (which cost us the grand total of 12 Egyptian pounds or 4 US$). It became clear, in our broken communication with the police as they left us, that we should expect to see them again the next morning when we departed. Malcolm and I were both too tired to worry about that at the moment. After a brief tour of the convent (where, reputedly, the Holy Family took refuge), we were shown to our room – very simple but functional. As an aside, I must say that whenever we’ve visited a Coptic monastery or convent, we’ve been shown the greatest hospitality and kindness – and this Convent was no exception.

We awoke the next morning, had breakfast in our room and spent a few minutes enjoying the view from the balcony outside – the Convent is built into a cliff at the edge of the Nile Valley, so we had a splendid view of the valley and various nearby small towns. We headed out of the Convent expecting to find our police escort waiting for us – which they weren’t. However, at the Convent gate, we were halted by a police officer and asked/told to wait, as our escort was on the way. Finally, about 45 minutes later, we left the Convent and met up with our escort on the road. They took us to the edge of Asyut. From that point on, for the rest of our trip, we were on our own, though we still passed through many police checkpoints throughout the trip.

Aside from this slight change in our itinerary, the trip went more or less as planned. Over 8 days and 2500 kilometres, we were able to spend a night or two in or near each of the four oases, and to poke about each oasis, exploring their main towns, archaeological sites and the highly varied desert scenery we encountered. After the Convent, every night we camped in the van: four nights out in the desert, including one night in what’s known as the White Desert, and one in the Black Desert, and two in a fairly new, very pleasant campground just outside of Dakhla oasis’ main town, Mut. Here, for 20 Egyptian pounds (US$5), we had a lovely, peaceful place to camp the van and access to a local hot spring. Malcolm enjoyed the hot spring immensely; I declined the opportunity, feeling a bit awkward about bathing in what seemed to be a men-only spot.

The oases were more different from one another than I expected, reflecting different histories and different positions/priorities in Egypt’s efforts to develop the Western Desert. Kharga, the first oasis we visited, is the largest of the four, and its main town is very “modern” – wide streets and relatively new buildings. About 1900-2000 years ago, the Romans seem to have been quite interested in this area, as evidenced by the numerous and often very impressive ruins of mud-brick fortresses (often enclosing sandstone temples to Egyptian gods) found throughout the oasis. Also found in Kharga is Bagawat, one of the earliest and best preserved Christian cemeteries in the world (c. 4th-7th centuries A.D.) – an expansive and remarkable site. We spent one day traveling about 100 kilometres south of the oasis’ main town, through the southern part of the oasis, visiting various fortress ruins and passing through numerous small towns. This is as far south in Egypt as we’ve driven to date.

We looked for a camp ground that was mentioned in our book, but they wanted E£40 to camp in a dirty lot, so we headed back out to look for a desert site. We found a road the took of to nowhere-in-particular and it looked pretty good so we tried it. About 100 meters off the main road we hit a loose sand pit and I tried to gun it over the sand but we (as I had the front drive shaft out) we got stuck. I turned to my wife and said “how about we just spend the night right here”. She was not thrilled. We spend the next hour jacking up the van and putting in the front drive shaft so that we could get out in the a.m. Next morning we had no problem getting out with the 4WD working.

The next oasis, Dakhla ( http://www.tourism.egnet.net/attraction/cities/oases/dakhla.htm or http://www.egyptvoyager.com/oases_dakhla.htm ) seemed less “modern” to me than Kharga. Its main town, Mut, is a tumbledown, pleasant place; and like Kharga, the oasis as a whole also has many mud brick ruins. Of particular interest to me was the site of Qila al-Dabba, a large burial area used as early as the 6th Dynasty of the Old Kingdom. Recent archaeological excavations here have uncovered an enormous burial monument known as a “mastaba”; its step-like structure into the ground reminded me of an amphitheatre, with a tomb at the bottom :-)). Also quite wonderful is the town of Qasr Dakhla: its old city, full of lovely old mud brick buildings (some four or five stories high), narrow, covered passageways and some 500-year-old Islamic carved door beams, is being preserved by the town’s inhabitants, who provide free tours.

The trip from Dakhla oasis to Farafra ( http://www.egyptvoyager.com/oases_farafra_frameset.htm ) oasis is, in the words of the woman who wrote one of the travel guides we used, “… a 310 kilometer … journey … over the longest, most desolate drive of the loop between the four oases.” For most of a day (what with police checks and a stop for lunch), we traveled through a LOT of desert – at one point, we even neared the eastern edge of what’s known as the Great Sand Sea, a massive area of sand dunes that stretches west across Egypt and into Libya. The main town of the oasis is also called Farafra (so small it is not on the URL map). It offered little respite from the remote isolation of the oasis, being a very small, dusty town, reminiscent (to me, anyway) of tiny prairie towns which seem to be in the middle of nowhere. We stayed only a short while in the town, then headed northwest into the oasis’ premier attraction – the White Desert (for better pictures than ours try http://www.aucegypt.edu/hekman/whitedes.html & http://www.aucegypt.edu/hekman/whitedes2.html#WhiteDesert ). Here the desert consists primarily of chalk; it’s especially notable for its almost ghostly white colour (particularly pronounced at night, under the full moon, as we discovered when we camped there) and its myriad unusual chalk formations: some shaped like mushrooms, ice cream cones, and various types of animals, others great monoliths towering into the sky. We took off on a dirt/sand track among these formations, enjoying ourselves enormously – until, at one stop during our meandering in the White Desert we stopped to take a photo and Malcolm noticed a trail of coolant behind the van. RATS!! We were only about 2 or 3 kms from the main road and thankfully, not much coolant had escaped, and Malcolm was able to come up with a stopgap solution for the leak. However, auto trouble in Farafra is a scary prospect: we were 40 kms from Farafra, 500 kilometres from Cairo and perhaps 200 kilometres from the nearest comprehensive assistance (Bahariya, the next oasis on our trip). We had had this trouble before (a hose comes off the coolant diversion block. We played it safe and limped back to Farafra with the engine cover off and Pat sitting back there watching to monitor the coolant system (the low coolant warning light is not hooked up!!). The temp fix held together to get us back to Farafra where we filled up with water, ate lunch and decided to take a gamble and forge on to Bahariya, relying on Malcolm’s fix – with me sitting in the back seat of the van, carefully monitoring the engine and coolant system to make sure nothing fell apart (one of the “advantages” of a rear-engine vehicle). After a few very uncomfortable, noisy, dusty/sandy kilometers with the engine cover off and me peering into the engine’s depths, we became confident enough to resume our journey with all parts of the van back in place. It was with some relief that we arrived in Bahariya oasis, the northern parts of which we’d visited a few months ago. However, this was our first time in Bahariya’s Black Desert ( for better pictures than ours try http://www.aucegypt.edu/hekman/blackdes.html#Black Desert ), in the southern area of the oasis – so called because of its many small, black-topped mountains. We enjoyed our last evening of desert camping here, and took a pleasant early morning walk the next day to explore the nearby Black Desert hills. Since most of Bahariya’s antiquities are off-limits without official permission from Cairo, and since we’d visited much of what else there was to see on our previous trip, once we left the Black Desert we headed into Bahariya’s main town of Bawiti for a brief visit, petrol refill and a cup of tea. One place in town that we did visit is called the Oasis Heritage Museum: a small museum/gift shop owned by a local self-taught artist. It’s a wonderful place, full of old, traditional oasis clothing, jewelry, basketry, and so forth, as well as modern local crafts and the artist’s own creations – clay figures, paintings, and murals. We spent a delightful hour or so here, then headed off on the final leg of our journey: 350 kilometres back to Cairo.

Almost all of the trip to Cairo passed without incident, but we did stop every 50 kms or so to check the coolant-fix). One landmark, about 200 kilometres from Cairo, was the turning over of the van’s odometer to 250,000 kilometres – way to go, van!!! Alas, the trip had an “interesting” but stressful, end – when the coolant system finally gave way, quite literally as we entered Cairo out by the Giza Pyramids, just as we were turning into a gas station. Seems as though the change from relatively high-speed, highway driving to the slow crawl of urban Cairo traffic caused the coolant system to heat up, expand, and to blow the weakest link in that system (my temp fix), which just couldn’t handle the extra pressure. Well there was much excitement at the gas station as presto, everyone was an instant mechanic! After deciding that the coolant diversion block was not up to the task, we enlisted the aid of a taxi driver (who had stopped for gas) to tow the van the remaining 5 or so kilometers to our apartment. This epitomized life in Cairo in all its chaotic absurdity: With pat in the taxi giving directions, Malcolm in the van steering, the enterprising taxi driver, who was certain about his Peugeot’s ability to tow our big, heavy van with a highly suspect, fraying, thin, rope, and who had seemingly little notion about how to actually find his destination. Driving in Cairo, is nuts at the best of times, but takes on an added hysteria when the van is weaving behind a determined, aggressive taxi driver whose main recourse to traffic safety is to holler/honk at nearby drivers to keep out of our way. Exhilarating relief is what we felt when we actually manage to accomplish something in Cairo – in this case, getting the van back to the apartment safely.

The bright side of the van trouble is that it has given Malcolm the opportunity to exercise his automotive inventiveness, which he loves doing. The parts to fix the van had been ordered 2 months ago, but never made it to us, so this time we paid for FedEx to be sure that we received the parts (new coolant diversion block & reservoir cap). In addition, Malcolm set out to improvise one of the parts – essentially, to block the hole that keeps leaking coolant. This he’s now done with a large rubber stopper, a rubber cap to cover the stopper, and copious quantities of heavy-duty engine epoxy cement. I think it would take a couple of tons of dynamite to blow the part now … but this will be the our “spare” part, as the new part arrived OK and has bee installed.

All in all, this oasis trip was another of Pat and Malcolm’s adventures, all’s well that ends well. It had its moments, but was certainly not to be missed! Hope that you enjoyed the story and the pictures.