Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Apr 2001 19:19:52 -0600
From:         Blake Thornton <thornton@MATH.UTAH.EDU>
Subject:      Vacuum leaks and timing

My van is still idling rough after playing around looking for vacuum leaks. I doesn't run rough, it only runs poorly at idle.

I don't understand what I am looking for when looking for leaks and I'm not too sure where to look for leaks. Sorry about the length of this, but I'm stumped and confused.

Heres what I've done (I have an 84): --------------------- 1- I took a propane torch (unlit) and sprayed around the engine compartment while the engine was running hoping to hear a change in idle (I didn't hear any)

2- disconnected (one at a time) the plug from the distributor cap and noticed a distinct difference in the idle (so they must all be firing)

3- replaced all the small hoses in the engine compartment (is it 4mm???, but it is small, and it is never clamped, it is too small). I'm not certain what all this small hose is for.

4- Put new hose clamps on the larg intake hoses between the air box and the intake manifold pipes, so there shouldn't be a leak here.

5- put in new gaskets (while doing my heads) between the manifold pipes and the heads.

6- ordered new o-ring gaskets for the injectors, but I haven't put them in yet. Maybe this will do this trick, but I doubt it.

7- Made sure the throttle connects the little electronic swith when at idle (but I haven't tested this switch, I assume it is working).

8- Valve job. I just replaced the heads and the valves have all been redone, so this isn't (or at least it should be) the problem

I'm not sure what to do now. My ideas (and questions) from information I've read in the archives are the following:

1- The coolant cross over pipe that goes on the top of the engine is supposed to bolt to the intake pipes. On the right hand side, the bolt has broken off and I have heard this could lead to a vacuum leak. I think I will JB weld this back as soon as I get a minute, just to make sure.

2- Buy a vacuum gauge. But I'm not too sure how to use it. I suppose the variety that you can pump would be easier to use, but where to do I connect it? Even if I determine there is a leak using a gauge, how do I find it?

3- Timing? Could my timing be off? I don't know how to check this and I don't know how to adjust it. Can someone tell me what to do?

4- Could it be a brake line issue. I do not understand how the vacuum lines and brake lines are connected, but I understand they are. Can anyone explain?

Thanks a ton in advance. My van is running ok, but I need to get the emmissions test done soon (it was due last month) and would prefer it to be running nicely.

Blake 84 Westy SLC Utah