Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Apr 2001 18:02:06 -0700
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Big bore diesels in a Vanagon

I'm no engineer, but I have read an awful lot of automotive literature. Some of the rationale behind small engines with large numbers of small cylinders has to do with efficiency. In the past several years both Chrysler and Ford have both marketed V10 engines to replace their big block V8s. To a point, combustion is more predictable, controllable, and complete in a smaller combustion chamber. The flame front travels at a nearly constant rate through the fuel/air mixture regardless of engine RPM. The flame front has less distance to travel and encounters fewer variations in temperature and fuel/air ratio, resulting in more complete burning and reduced emissions numbers. This is true for gasoline engines, but all bets are off on how effective this would be with diesel. If the number of tractor-trailers with huge inline sixes on U.S. highways is any indicator, there are other factors that are more important than cylinder size for diesel engines. Otherwise, they would all have V12s. Imagine how much money you would save if a fleet of several hundred trucks that drive 150k miles a year could get even 5% better fuel economy.

Food for thought....

Mike Snow

> Go for fewer (larger) cylinders (more torque). A > 4liter diesel six will > have more grunt than a 4liter V8.

ahh... thanks for the info..

why is that? i though that's why they had all those 2.0liter v-12's back in the day. more torque. maybe i'm just mixin up hp and torque again.

oh well... gotta run eat lunch.. lates

===== Sudhir Desai