Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Apr 2001 15:39:38 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1985  Vanagon
Comments: To: Patricia Ann Reeves <starrise2000@HOTMAIL.COM>

At 02:44 PM 4/5/2001, Patricia Ann Reeves wrote: >Help. Please! I own a 1985 Volkswagon Vanagon Mark III. I am having >trouble finding parts for her. Seems 85 Vanagons aren't suppose to be in >the States.

Sure they are, not to worry. All years from '79/80 to '91 were sold here. Almost all parts are available through VW dealers, though many are very expensive and you may have to struggle with the Parts Department a little so they'll get off their dead behinds. Brake parts and many others are available from Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com/ usually a lot cheaper than dealer, and he gives a small discount to list members. Ken Wilford http://www.vanagain.com supplies many parts with particular attention to cooling and fuel systems, and shift linkages, often supplying dealer parts for much less than regular dealer prices. Rocky Mountain Motorworks sells parts -- I think that Bus Depot will sell you anything in their catalog for less than they do. There is a dealer Camelback VW (haven't got contact info here) who will ship parts to listmembers for I believe 20% less than dealer list (which btw is set individually by the dealer). There is a vendor page at http://www.vanagon.com/ that should be helpful as well. Also instructions on how the heater controls work, and lots of other good stuff.

FYI, you have a 1.9l (liter) engine with Digi*JET* (not DigiFant) control system which is essentially the Bosch L-Jetronic system. Proper oil filters are important -- get from Vanagain or Bus Depot, or dealer if you must. Filters from Mann, Mahle, probably Bosch are ok, "normal" brands are definitely not. Contrary to aftermarket opinion, the Vanagon filter is *not* the same as the Rabbit/Golf filter. Likewise make sure you're using the proper oil for your temperatures -- 10W30 is much too light for most conditions. Get a copy of the Haynes manual ($25 from Bus Depot, sole source) and if possible the Bentley manual (about $75 from Bus Depot, a lot more from dealer or direct from Bentley. Be prepared to become somewhat expert or find someone bound to you by chains of love who is so prepared -- most of these vans are on the two coasts and even there it's hard to find anyone who actually understands them.

*Replace your fuel system hoses -- kit available $50 from Vanagain.* Don't mess around with this, I promise they need it, and having your van burn to the ground is a bad way to find out.

Take a look at the big steel cooling pipes that run from engine to radiator -- if they're rotten at the rear you can cut off a section and replace with hose. Drop the fuse panel and look for overheated connections -- they'll need new crimp connectors. Ditto at the alternator.

Don't mess with the rear axle nuts without a very good reason -- Bentley says you need to remove them to do brake work, but it's not true for ordinary work. They are extremely difficult to remove and must be replaced to insanely high torque levels to avoid hub damage. Likewise the little M8 bolts that hold the brake drums on are completely unnecessary, they keep the drums from falling off at the factory. *Do* do your rear brakes by the book, including disassembling and cleaning the adjusters etc. Do them one at a time so you can refer to the other one for parts placement. Don't worry if the backplate is pretty shaky-looking, they don't do anything structural. If it's truly swiss-cheese it will need replacing, in which case the axle nuts *will* have to come off. When you're looking for junk backing plates, remember that you have to get the one for the proper side.

Remember that none of us here actually know as much as we think we do, especially me. <g>

Welcome aboard david

ps - be sure to mention that it's an '85 whenever you ask the list something...all Vanagons have much in common, but there are noticeable differences too.

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"