Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Apr 2001 22:20:12 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: poptop installation (shudder)
Comments: To: radish150@earthlink.net

Stan Wilder wrote:

If you're scavenging from a junk yard you should take a camera and take lots of photo's of things before you remove them. Much better than your memory.

The OEM Westfalia has a special roof configuration that contains the insert for the top bed and the roof has undelying bracing for the hinge assemblies at the rear of the pop-top as well as additional stiffing in the area of the pop-top lock down device.

If at all possible SAW this entire roof area off of the salvage vehicle just starting at the top of the rain gutters and just go completely around the van. I know this sounds like a lot of work but you will be able to get all of the OEM structure and transfer it this way.

I have had my Westfalia completely gutted while installing new upholstered panels all around (refer,sink, stove not removed). There aren't many OEM specials other than the top and of course all of the efficiency apartment gear.

The roof area is the most important area to work with, you need the whole roof to get the structual integrity that you need.

Stan Wilder 83 Westfalia Air-Cooled

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 19:44:47 -0700 radish150 <radish150@EARTHLINK.NET> writes: > > --------------------------- > > > > Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 17:22:09 -0400 > > From: Ed Shultz > > Subject: Has anyone installed a Westy pop-up? > > > > Hi there, > > > > Has anyone converted a type 3 passenger Vanagon to a pseudo camper > by > > installing a Westy pop-up and luggage holder? It looks straight > forward if > > someone had the pop-up and all of the canvas. And, also very > skillful with > > a saw. > > > > I have a sweet syncro I would love to convert into a camper. > > > > Just curious, Thanks... > > Ed Shultz > > 1987 Syncro GL > > Photos: http://homepage.mac.com/eshultz/PhotoAlbum.html > > > > > Ed, I did this once on a bus, did a complete conversion. Now it's > possible that I did it the hard > way, it might have been easier to take the glass out and cut and > weld at the pillars but what I > did was to section in the new top right above the gutters and fill > in the imperfections with > bondo. It looked good when I was done, but I kid you not, that was > the hardest automotive job I've > ever done in my life, and believe me I've done a ton of very hard > jobs on cars and trucks, I would > NEVER EVER do that again. Personaly if I were you I'd just install > the kitchen gear (not too bad > of a job) and then stick one of those add on rooftop tents that we > saw on the list the other day. > Unless your an autobody warrior and can weld, use a plasma cutter, > grind, fill, sand, paint and > and and and and (ad neaseum), save yourself a huge headache and just > don't. That is of course, > unless your all primed for a good headache, everyone needs one once > in a while I suppose. > > I'd be interested in hearing other opinions from those who have done > this very nasty task. > > mark...