Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Apr 2001 23:14:26 -0700
From:         wayout <wayout@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      My first day with my new ride / questions

Hello Folks... Im back to VW's again, as I sold my toyota and found a nice 85 GL 122K, one owner ....got it yesterday. Heres some photos: http://www.jakerock.com/vanagon.htm

Played around with her today, did little things like replace bulbs, new rotor / dist cap, new fuel filter, lube the shift linkage.... mostly I just looked around, following pipes and hoses and wires around the engine compartment and underneath, trying to get oriented.

Ive got a few questions, if anyone has a minute to help me I sure would appriciate it.

1.) I cant find a timing mark on the pulley... am I just not looking hard enough? 2.) A couple of times today, after sitting at a stoplight she would have NO power for about 4-5 seconds as I started out. It didnt die completely, just seemed like she might, then picked up where her glory left off and were just fine. Maybe this prob is tied to my next question.... 3.) Weird idle. Beautiful and steady sometimes, but mostly erratic.... nearly dying, and then picking up, then nearly dying....on and on, like the "brainbox" is having trouble deciding what to do and is trying to adjust...

When I took out the fuel filter someone had written "91K" on the side with magic marker. (thats 30K on the little bugger) It was pretty dirty in there, but even with the new filter and a few miles of road she is still doing these things.

With my last few VW's John Muir's "How to keep your VW alive" was indespensable. Ive got a bentley, but would like to know what I could read to try and get my mind around how works the waterboxer, and especially Digijet Fuel injection. Theres no "Idiots guide to Vanagons" right?

Thanks for any help..! Take care.

Jason Loewenstein 85GL