Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:40:03 +1000
From:         Jack Newton <johnn@TRIODE.NET.AU>
Subject:      Temperature Gauge - Hot Desert Conditions - LONG

After having had the usual Transporter (Vanagon) problems of water leaks and head replacements, followed by two catastrophic failures of the connections onto the coolant pipes, resulting in tows home, I am an inveterate temperature gauge watcher.

Last month I drove across Australia from Sydney to Perth and back doing, in all, around 9,400 kilometres (around 5,900 miles). Part of the journey involved crossing and re-crossing the hot and dry Nullarbor Plain - 1200 kilometres (750 miles) of desert with petrol (gas) stations up to 191 kilometres (120 miles) apart. "Lets Go Australia -1998" travel series says about the Nullarbor - "Only the most self-destructive of outlaws would drive this route by choice". It is flat, it is long, it is harsh and it is lonely - so lonely that sections of the road are used by the Royal Flying Doctor Service as landing strips.

But it is challenge and one hell of a test for a cooling system.

According to Bentley (Section 19.12), the Vanagon (from 1986) cooling fan is two stage, the first stage cuts in between 89 and 94 C (192-201F) and cuts out at 81 C (178F) and stage 2 cuts in between 95 and 100 C (203-212F) and cuts out at 87 C (189F). Bentley (Section 97.200) also shows the radiator fan cooling switch as operating at 95C first stage and 102C second stage.

My Safari Campervan is air-conditioned, has a two 60 litre (16 US gallon) water tanks, one cold and one hot (heated by a coil through which coolant flows).

By way of background, the city driving behaviour of the temperature gauge is that it normally sits about 1 or 2 needle widths to the right of the LED and the cooling fan switches on when the needle climbs to 3 or 4 widths past the LED (usually in traffic jams). After a few minutes with the fan on the temperature falls and the needle moves to sit just on the LED and the fan switches off. The needle then climbs back to its normal position.

With the air-conditioning on the needle normally sits over the middle of the LED as the air-conditioning circuit automatically switches on the cooling fan. When the valve to heat the hotwater tank is opened, the needle drops one width to the left of the LED and remains there for a while (as the water in the tank is heated) before climbing just to the right of the LED. This gives additional emergency cooling capacity to assist the radiator in extreme conditions. (Switching on the heater also gives additional cooling capacity but only the most dire emergency can warrant this punishment on a hot day!).

On the east -west crossing of the Nullarbor conditions were hot and the air conditioner was used from time to time. In the interests of fuel consumption and comfort the speed was a steady 100 kph (63 mph). Such is the lack of traffic on the Nullarbor that 100kph means that you travel 100 kilometres each hour.

The results were interesting in that the temperature gauge was inconsistent in its behaviour. With the air con off, most of the time the needle sat a needle width to the right of the LED and remained there with very little movement but occasionally it would sit lower almost on the LED; both of these conditions enabled me to relax. But sometimes the needle would sit almost three widths to the right of the LED and just stay there hour after hour without the fan switching on, this caused me concern. At first I stopped, and checked the coolant level (always OK). Eventually I accepted that it was either just another idiosyncrasy of the Van or was related to wind speed, direction and ambient temperature. For instance a relatively cool headwind would give additional radiator cooling whereas a hotter wind or a tailwind would reduce radiator cooling. According to Bentley specifications, the water temperature could reach 94C before the fan switched on and would come down to 81 C before it switched off. So, depending on conditions, there is a temperature range of 13 C (23F) that the radiator can sit in quite comfortably with no problems. This could account for the needle sitting at different positions from time to time during the trip. Seems logical to me but has any listee any comments or other explanations?

On the West to east crossing the weather was cooler and with a good tail wind I got good mileage and not a scrap of worry from the cooling system although variations still occurred from day to day.

During the 9,400 kilometres, the Van behaved impeccably. The cooling system behaved perfectly. No Valium was required.

BTW as well as seeing the temperature gauge, we also saw emus, dingoes, the odd kangaroo and a lot of quite spectacular scenery.

Jack Newton Manly, New South Wales, Australia 1989 Transporter Safari Campervan