Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Apr 2001 15:08:47 -0700
From:         Mark Mages <wasserbox@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      EBay Scam - word of warning
Comments: To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org

Damn - almost got taken in....

I know a lot of you use Ebay, so I feel this is a valid warning.

This should be basic knowlege for some of you, but others might not know.

1st Mistake - do NOT use your email address as a username on Ebay.

What happened - someone Emailed me saying that an auction I had been outbid on fell through, and they would sell me the item for my bid price.

I said "no thanks..." They dropped the price to a price that I thought was fair (real cheep), and I almost jumped on it.

Then I noticed that the address field had an extra space in it... kinda weird, so I changed my view preferences to Full Headers. If you don't know how to read headers, I highly recommend searching the internet for email abuse information. It is very helpful.

You can mask the IP Address, but it will come out as an invalid IP, or as in my case he wasn't smart enough to mask his IP and came across as a dial-up user with a service in Romania with the email bounced through 3 hotmail-type accounts.

Now I await his next email so I can send his header information to his ISP and the 3 interim accounts he used, and hopefully get him thrown off of all of them.

Just a word of warning. Maybe it'll save someone a few bucks and the Pissed-offedness of getting screwed via the internet.

===== Mark Music is the soundtrack to the Low Budget B-movie that is my life.

87 Westfalia Gl 84 Scirocco 8v http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/