Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Apr 2001 00:29:48 -0500
From:         Brian Asbury <asbury@TELEPAK.NET>
Subject:      Carpet, Again..

Ok, It's been a few weeks since we have discussed carpet. :-) When I purchased my 87 Wolfsburg last fall, I knew the rear heater had leaked. The owner removed the rear heater (no problem for me, since I live in warm climate). The carpet was still kinda bad in the back, but the mats covered it up. The mats were pretty dirty, so I ordered a complete new set from Go Westy. I installed the front mat and it fits nicely. I planned to use a carpet cleaner on the back carpet, but as I was poking around last weekend, I noticed just how soaked the back area is and the padding under the carpet is just plain nasty. I need to pull up the carpet to get the padding out. So, while I have everything out, I was looking for suggestions as to what to do..I'm sure other people have had to do these cleanups after coolant leaks. I thought about ditching both the padding and carpet and putting down a thicket carpet from a remnant, but also thought a heavy vinyl might be a good way to go. Basically, I'm looking for the easiest, cheapest way to go. The replacement carpet sets sold by various vendors are kinda pricey, and I have already put out some money for the mats, and i'm not that concerned what the carpet UNDER the mat looks like.

any suggestions?

Brian

87 Wolfsburg