Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:03:55 -0700
From:         Michael aka ECHO <echosmurf@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Idle Control Whatzit

Yes Mcihael, I have an 80 vangaon here in Cali with the same sort of problem with the Idle stablizer. I do have the stablizer (sorry not for sale) that has been bypassed and hard wired. Bastard PO. I myself looking for the pigtails and a few other conenctors. I straight had to open wire a few male plugs to a few wires then with 200mph tape just used zip ties to keep thewires close at hand. ANyone else can helpw ith these dire ine need items any response will be so much apprecated. Michael aka ECHO PS FINALLY found the VW id#s for my Double Relay. Infact, I got the Federal and Cali numbers...

--- Michael Edwards <mpedwards@LYCOS.COM> wrote: > So the new engine is up and running. First time ever tuning > this bus so naturally I consult my Haynes manual. Step one > for the CA emissions is to disconnect the idle control > stabilizer and plug the leads into each other. I look high > and low, finding only the leads already bypassed and the dirt > outline where the stabilizer used to be. The sum'b*tch PO had > screwed me again. Much like every other part (including the > t-stat, air flaps, superfluous #2&3 motor mounts, and 3 pieces > of random tin, etc...) this unit was seen as "not necessary" > by the backyard bonehead mechanic who had serviced it in the > past. Anyway, no big surprise. My question is: how important > is the idle control stabilizer unit? How long can i drive > around with it bypassed? > -Also, WTB elec. pigtails? i have several that are very > brittle and cracked and need replacement but they do not seem > to be avail thru Bus depot or Van Again. I especially need the > plug which goes into the distributor---what years is this > specific to in case i need to visit local recycler? > -Since you're reading this anyway, can anybody recommend a > good tachometer? > Thanks for all help > Mike Edwards > 82 Westy > > > Get 250 color business cards for FREE! at Lycos Mail > http://mail.lycos.com/freemail/vistaprint_index.html

===== MY first VW! 1980 Vanagon L "D'Arius" LOOK a picture!!!http://www.geocities.com/echo207/vanagon.html Need any general computer help? Computer blonde? E-mail: echo207@excite.com and I will see what I can do to help. And a limping 84 buick Skylark