Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:15:13 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      More Ignition/ Stabilizer electonics ?'s(way long!)

Dear Electronics gurus: Please bear with me on this one!!

Problem: Trying to finish wiring the Haltech FI system and adapt it to the Dijifant 2.1.

2 hassles left 1. Haltech system needs an ignition control module to function. Digifant had it built in to the ecu apparently, Digijet had an external model. Didn't want to buy The haltech model and the expensive wiring loom that goes with it especially when the alternative module in the install book is a Bosch unit looking a lot likethe 83.5-85 vanagon unit made by Fairchild and Telefunken etc. Bosch Part number was 1 227 022 008. Local flaps says that part is $194 Found a Telefunken in a bone yard(87 Quantum) that appears to be identical(part# 211 905 351) Question: all these units have an identical 7 pin plug although not all of them use all seven wires(Dijijet vanagon does) Can I assume that pins 1-7 on all these units do the same thing regardless of the color of wire used? The 7 pin connector I found came from an unidentified source, but pins 1-6 are identical colors to the digijet schematic except for #7 is missing. I'll try to describe the connections and which ones arethe same and which ones are different. If anyone out there can tell me specifically what the funtion of these pins are, maybe I can figureout what I can live with and what can be left out. The Haltech manual shows their connection only using pins 1-4 and 6. I am trying to get the Digifant idle stabilizer to work with this system too. More on that in hassle #2.

Pin one is the same for both: leads to terminal 1 on the coil. Pin two is the same and goes to ground. Is where I ground this wire critical? Pin three has the vw wire(brown/white) going to idle stabilizer and eventually to hall sender, supposedly to the ground side of it. The Haltech hookup shows pin three going to the ignition output cable of the Haltech ecu, presumably the ground. I can live with that. Pin four goes to terminal 15 of the coil in both wiring set ups. Pin five is missing on the Haltech diagram but the vw setup(red/black wire) has it going to the positive side of the Hall sender after passing through the idle stabilizer. Do I hook this wire into the red/black wire left disconnected at the relay box over the coil(Haltech uses two very similar relays to the digifant set up, but doesn't need this plug ) Just don't want to fry someting here!! This all appears to be tied in to circuit 50 in the starter, but how, I'm not sure. Pin six on the Haltech seems to go to the ignition signal connection to the Haltech ignition output conncector along with pin three. The vw setup sends this pin to the idle stabilizer and then to the trigger side of the Hall sender. This one is probably the most confusing. somehow I also need to wire the Hall sender trigger wire to the Digifant stabilizer and I am lost after that.!! Pin seven doesn't exist on the Haltech but pin sevenis a white wire going to the Digijet ecu pin #1. I need to know if that wire is critical to function? Is it supplying power to the vw ecu or some other signal? Can I leave it out of the mix? The Haltech gets it's 12v ecu power from a seperate wire.

2. Idle stabilizer wiring:

I need to know how to re-configure the late model stabilizer so it performs it's functions with the new Haltech ECU.

The brown ground wire is a no brainerbut is it critical to ground it with the other ecu ground connections or will a good clean body ground work as well?, Hooking up the green hall sender wire shhouldn't cause problems if I make a sanitary Y connction at the Hall sender plug conection.. The yellow and white wires go to the idle stabilizer so nothing's new there and I've cut off the poweer steering wires as I'm not using it and the pressure switch isn't hooked up. I'm assuming that hooking up the gray wire to the Haltech sending wire for the coolant temp sender will replace that wire's original position on the VW temp sender and then we get to the red/blue wire that goes to the throttle enrichment switch. Is this wire here to tell the stabilizer when the engine is idling or at full power or both? I had to remove the throttle switch from the throttle body and put the Haltech throttle position sensor on the bottom of the throttle shaft, so if I splice this wire into on e of the TPS sensor wires, will I get the results I'm looking for? I'm guessing the white/green wire goes to the AC unit somehow, but my AC isn't hooked up so I may leave it out of the mix unless someone can get me headed in the right direction with it.

The snafu in the Bentley manual(page 97.207 seems to be the wire color for circuit 6/50. My wire is a yellow/black and the diagram shows it to be a red/black wire. I thought all the yellow/black wires were part of the X circuit(load reduction relay?) Should I tie this wire in with the red/black wires mentioned earlier? Again, don't want to burn up anything here. I guess it makes sense to shut power off to the stabilizer unit during starting, but I'd like to be sure before doing anything permanent.

Thanks for all your help!!

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel

Pin1