Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:41:31 -0230
From:         Karl Dawe <kdawe@MUN.CA>
Subject:      Re: OT: Subject: Re: spam
Comments: To: Karl Ploessl <ploessl@SUNMAC.SPECT.UPENN.EDU>

The "opt-out" addresses that are given on these spam messages servers two purpopses, and unfortunately it usually isn't to get you off their mailing list.

They are there so that the message meets US regulations, which state something about unsolicited email being ok if the consumer is given the option to opt-out.

They are also there so that the spammer can (in many cases) CONFIRM you address or add it to their list. The stuff that comes to the list and not to you personally means that they don't (as of yet) have your email. If you try to opt-out, all you often do is opt-in.

I know it sucks, but you're better off just hitting delete and praying that this list changes to be "subscriber only". :)

Karl.