Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:36:36 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: spam
Comments: To: Jean-Guy Savoie <jgsavoie@NBNET.NB.CA>

At 04:12 PM 4/11/2001, Jean-Guy Savoie wrote: >Mostly right, however the E-Mails are most often undeliverable because the >spammer includes a fake return address. He (or she or it) is most often >only interested in you clicking on his link (included in the spam message) >or to phone a telephone sucker hot-line he hosts. > >As far as complaining to the abuse@domain.name, I am convinced that exept >for the rare domain admin, these are just dumped. I think the abuse@ >addresses are provided just to placate irrate spam victims and to give them >a place to vent their legitimate frustrations with this vile luncheon meat.

Jean, I've had considerable response from bbn-planet, msn, yahoo, hotmail, geocities and a number of others. Yahoo in particular has been extremely prompt in terminating mail accounts and sending me a note of thanks, and geocities is certainly prompt at terminating accounts used in support of spam-based operations.

There really are several types of addresses here: Websites actually doing business, mail accounts used to send spam, smtp servers used to relay spam from spam-x.com, mail accounts used for supposed opt-out feedback. I do get occasional misses from providers, but I've never yet had one come back and say "it's within our Terms of Service so tough luck." Mostly I hear back that the account has been cancelled or that the relaying smtp server has been secured. I definitely think it's worth doing even though it's bailing out the ocean.

http://www.singapore.cnet.com/news/2000/11/03/20001103az.html (text follows) is an interesting side-note on this.

david

AT&T changes course as spam policy is revealed Paul Festa, CNET News.com Friday, November 3 2000

AT&T has yielded to an anti-spam group's request that it stop providing services to a purported sender of unsolicited commercial email.

The move came after an English anti-spam organization publicly posted what it termed a "pink contract" between AT&T and the alleged spammer, Nevada Hosting. AT&T had been hosting the group's Web site.

"This proves that AT&T knowingly does business with spammers and shows that AT&T makes 'pink' contracts with known spammers to not terminate the spammers' services," Steve Linford of The Spamhaus Project wrote in an email interview.

AT&T confirmed the authenticity of the contract and said it had been discontinued.

"That document represents an unauthorized revision to AT&T's standard contract and is in direct conflict with AT&T's anti-spamming policies," wrote AT&T representative Bill Hoffman. "The agreement has been terminated, and the customer has been disconnected."

AT&T's spam policy specifically rules out contracts like the one it signed with Nevada Hosting.

Nevada Hosting could not be reached for comment.

Anti-spam groups have long suspected the existence of pink contracts that allow spammers to promote their Web sites provided they send their unsolicited emails through other Internet service providers, according to Linford. The AT&T contact confirmed those suspicions.

The Spamhaus Project's success comes as anti-spam groups increasingly bypass spammers themselves and instead target those who facilitate the dissemination of unsolicited commercial email. Those groups--mostly ISPs and server administrators--are relatively few and are easier to hold accountable than spammers.

Another such pressure group is the Mail Abuse Prevention System (MAPS), which maintains the Realtime Blackhole List (RBL). The MAPS RBL blacklists servers left open to abuse by spammers. While the group's stated goal is to pressure server administrators to close avenues for spammers, the MAPS RBL has weathered criticism that it has limited effectiveness in actually blocking spam.

The Spamhaus Project positions itself as kind of spam Purgatory on the way to the MAPS RBL. Spamhaus targets entities that send spam with forged addresses and the ISPs that do business with them.

"When it finds a 'stealth' spamming service, or an outfit selling stealth spamware, The Spamhaus Project sends a notice to the ISP and requests the service or site be terminated," Linford wrote. "Ninety-five percent of spam sites are terminated this way, and those that aren't are then escalated to the MAPS RBL team.

"MAPS are very much our heroes."

AT&T representatives have taken to Internet discussion forums in an attempt to placate spam foes and reassure them that the company's stated anti-spam policy will be enforced in future contracts.

"Our sales agents have been instructed as to the correct procedure to follow and have been reminded of our existing anti-spamming policies," AT&T customer care manager Ed Kelley wrote in a posting to the "news.admin.net-abuse.email" newsgroup. "AT&T is making every effort to ensure that this does not occur again in the future."

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"