Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Apr 2001 20:57:48 EDT
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: 1980 speedo cable disconnect???
Comments: To: seangar@hotmail.com

In a message dated 4/11/01 12:14:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, seangar@HOTMAIL.COM writes:

> While underneath my project van (1980 Westy) last weekend I saw what looked > like the speedo cable disconnected in the spare tire area (screw on type > jack at end of cable here). Is the speedo cable a two piece item? that is, > does it go from the dashboard (1st piece) then swing through the > undercarriage (2cd piece) to a wheel with a connection piont in between???>> >

Not tottally sure on the Air Cooled but the later vans had a box on the driver's side of the spare tire carrier. This is the box that turns on the oxygen sensor light every so many thousand miles. A speedo cable ran from the wheel on the driver's side to this box and then another cable ran from the box up to the speedo. I hope this helps you.

> > There was also a vacume line (flexible rubber about 1/4 inch) laying there > with no obvious connection point to anything above the spare tire area. I > traced back to the engine compartment where it also was not connected to > anything. This vehicle once had Dealer A/C installed on it. Could it have > something to do with that?>> > >

Thanks, Ken Wilford Van-Again John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Office: (856)-765-1583 Fax: (856)-327-2242

[text/html]