Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:06:59 -0700
From:         PSavage <psavage@SABER.NET>
Subject:      $5,000  On Preventative Maintenance

'Morning Volks, Many have asked how I spent $5,000 in the 18 months I've owned my 1985 Wolfsburg Westy.

***Bought van from single PO with 194,000 original miles, 19,000 miles on the rebuilt engine. (Without consultig my paperwork, here's the rundown)

Immediately swapped faulty rack & pinon steering for a good used one. Replaced bad master clutch cylinder. Installed new starter. New Air Flow Meter & several small related parts "Cleaned up" some iffy-looking wiring. Complete tune up (At this point, Dec of '99, I drove van to Mexico & back-- for a total of 15,000 miles without mechanical trouble.)

Last summer, I had the van gone over thoroughly. Based on findings, I had the following work done. Now, bear in mind, many of these parts/systems might have worked fine for months, even longer--but I planned driving the van again to Mexico.

New alternator All fuel lines replaced Coolant flushed & bled New coolant overflow tank installed Many coolant hoses replaced New throttle switch installed CV joints replaced Ball joints replaced Front arm bushings & camber adjustment Spare ECU mounted in engine compartment Complete tune up Front & rear brakes & rotors Front end realigned All electrical grounds cleaned & polished Replace spade connectors in fues panel etc...

Note***with few exceptions, the van was clean & running well. But with lots of miles on her, many parts/systems were bound to go bad. Were I not adventuring in a third world country, I would have dealt with these parts one by one