Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Apr 2001 08:49:24 -0600
From:         Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: primo aircooled Vanagon Westy
Comments: To: kinerson@CAPITAL.NET

I have an '81 air-cooled that I bought new in January '82. It was made in 5/81, so has a big birthday coming up!

I have almost 140,000 miles on it, many on primitive roads in Colorado and Utah. I have replaced the upper control arm bushings, sway bar droplinks (several times....) and clutch master cylinders. Rebuilt engines, and that's about it. Oh, yes, a window crank(!)

I put in a VW-rebuilt engine at 103,000 miles. It failed from overheating at 133,000. A Boston-Bob engine now. I am pretty sure the overheat was due to the engine-body seal; at 103,000, the original seal was turned over, but didn't seal very well. Hindsight is so clear! The rear deck was always very warm after a long drive; that was my signal and I didn't pick up on it. A new seal with the new engine now shows me how much cooler the rear deck ought to be. The fundamental rule of technical ownership: know the characteristics and note changes!

It has been very reliable. If you take care of it, it takes care of you....

Richard A. Jones Boulder, Colorado