Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Apr 2001 13:52:04 -0700
From:         Kind Fellow <slyde51@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      87 Wolfsburg???

hi fellow listees,

i'm a newbie to vanagons..actually, have never owned a volkswagon before....but a buddy of mine has his 87 wolfsburg vanagon for sale, so i would like some honest opinions on if i should buy it.

here's some details on it... it's an 87 wolfsburg vanagon, 190,000 miles...has a rear bench that folds out into a cool bed w/a cushion in the back above the engine and has 2 seats facing towards the rear (pretty cool)...the interior is good, no tears in the carpet or seats...the seats facing towards the rear have some side plastic pieces missing...he's got some plywood in place of the missing plastic pieces but they work just fine...has a working flourescent light inside...there's a crack in the front bumper, not that noticable, no rust as i can see, no cracks in the glass, the windows roll up and down, the right mirror doesn't work though...not like the left mirror where you can control it from inside...air conditioning doesn't blow cold air, but he says it just needs freon (isn't that illegal now)...it does blow air though when i turn it on...now for the engine...starts okay...it didn't turn over the first time (he says cause it was cold), but it did the second time...the weirdest thing is that when i put it on drive (it's an automatic), it moves but didn't seem to go into the next gear quickly...it took a few tries of stepping on the gas and then it seemed to 'catch' and then was fine from there...i drove it on the side streets and seemed to accelerate okay, except for the first few minutes (he said it needed to get warmed up but might need some transmission work)...freeway driving was great...i know it's a huge car, so i wasn't expecting it to go quickly (i know it has a 4 cyclinder engine).

so that's most of what i know of it, from him telling me and me test driving it...he's asking $3000 for it...is that too much? good deal? i've check kellybluebook online and it seems to be right in comparison to trade in value and retail value....what about the 'catching' as I stepped on the gas? he said transmission work and that totally scares me...what's a new transmission go for on a vanagon like this? should I offer a price minus the transmission work (if it's really needed)?

well, any advice i'll take....

Chad, vanagon newbie