Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Apr 2001 08:43:08 -0400
From:         Tom Carrington <tcarrington@RELITECH.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon List stuff - Please read!

Howdy everybody,

There has been a lot of discussion on the list recently about SPAM, and this does happen from time to time. But I would really like to see the discussion centered on Vanagons!!

Last year about this time, there was a similar flurry of messages about SPAM. Based on what I was seeing, I asked the listmembers to p-mail me a vote on if I should "close" the list or not. I rec'd 8 (yes, EIGHT) responses. Four of the responses were for keeping the list open, 4 were for closing it. I cast a tie-breaking vote and closed the list. The whole process revealed to me that while some of you like to whine about SPAM, it wasn't a big enough deal to warrant any action.

Then all sorts of people complained to me about the "closed" list, so I opened it back up after upgrading Gerry to ListServ 1.8d, which has an advanced SPAM filter. We had only a few SPAMs for the first few months, but now I get the feeling that SPAMmers have figured out how to get past the filer, based on the increased incidents.

So here's the deal - I'm willing to change the configuration of the list if a majority want it. Please send your opinion in an e-mail to "vanagon-request@gerry.vanagon.com" and indicate your preference. DO NOT SEND YOUR "VOTE" TO THE LIST.

So that you may make an informed choice, here is some background:

The Vanagon list is "open" which means anybody in the world can post to it. Unfortunately, so can SPAMmers. But it also makes it easier for new people that find the list to send a question.

If we close the list, then only listmemembers can post. This cuts the amount of SPAM to a minimum. The drawbacks are that if you have several e-mail addresses that you would like to use to post to the list (like a work and home address) then you must subscribe *both*. If you don't want to receive mail on both, simply set one subscription to "NOMAIL" as outlined in Ron's directions at http://gerry.vanagon.com

Anyways, send your opinion to "vanagon-request@gerry.vanagon.com" between now and next Friday at midnite. I'll sum up the votes and announce the outcome.

Your Vanagon list admin, TomC