Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Apr 2001 10:54:53 -0700
From:         PSavage <psavage@SABER.NET>
Subject:      ShadyBoy Awning:  Acid Test Report

My ShadyBoy was used, on & off, for much of my recent 4 month trip to mainland Mexico. Many of you have requested a report, so here 'tis:

What I like about the awning: *Good looks *Easy installation *Ease & quickness of set-up: takes five minutes top! *Good coverage, which adds usable living space around the van while camped.

Drawbacks: *Awning does not hold up in a stiff breeze-- even with tiedowns attached. Worse, a stiff breeze, especially if gusting, drives the outer edge up & down, making it useless to hang out under.

*Awning cannot be left up unattended. This becomes a bother. Putting awning away takes more time than putting it up. When a wind comes up, taking it down is frustrating & more time consuming.

*The unreinforced pockets (that hold pole ends) began to tear early on in use, as did the stitching holding the fabric to the sliding track. This could be remedied by reinforcement.

*The nylon tie downs are helpful, but their attachment position on the poles could be improved, as gusting wind puts upward pressure on the middle of the awning's leading edge.

*The spring, holding the aluminum housing cover in the up position when awning is in use, failed on the first day of awning use. It broke loose from it's mounting--& even when replaced to the best of my ability, still does not hold the housing cover up off the awning as it should--causing chaffing to the awning fabric.

*The velcro tabs, used to hold the folded awning in place while rolling up for putting away, were mounted to the aluminum housing with just the sticky back & failed immediately, necessitating a re-glue using barge cement. Note: All of these failures occured within the first few days of awing use.

Since there is SO much I do like about the design of this awning (& since I have mounted it to my van with thru-body screw holes), I intend working with this gear & with Wolfgang, the designer, to see if I can't correct it's problems.

I intend to attempt a modification which will involve sewing a sleeve along the awning's leading edge which will hold a small, strong, batten. Perhaps a bamboo pole, which is strong, but light. This, I hope, will allow use of the awning in the wind. I will also, perhaps, install two metal grommets on the ends of the leading edge pocket to receive upright poles, for added stiffness.

This awning gives a lot of shad/rain/salt mist coverage for the space/weight it takes up, which is wonderful. But when a gusting breeze drives the leading edge up & down rapidly it can be a hazzard to one's eyes.

Do I regret having bought/installed the ShadyBoy? Not at all! And Wolfgang is a first rate person to deal with & anxious to please. He tells me that since I bought mine he has made some design changes. He values user feedback & when I suggested that he improve his system for coding the fiberglasss poles, he did it quickly. I cannot recommend him more highly. Hope this helps, volks! Phaedra

Contact Wolfgang at: shadyboy@shadyboy.com