Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:31:30 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Back From Mexico!

> I'm gettin' scared here. I bought my 85 westy 2 months ago after checking > around and being told how good VW's are, and that they last forever, and now > on the list and VW web pages I keep seeing people getting excited because > their van DIDN'T break down, as if it's expected of it to have something go > wrong during a trip. > Wassup? Am I in for spending some big dough on my van?

it depends. on the individual bus you bought. but you must remember a few things about it ... a. it is a 16-year old user car. b. all used cars are suspect ... cause their condition depends entirely on the care, or lack thereof, by the previous owner(s). c. all used cars need work to get them up to decent shape. the used car that needs no work is a myth. :) d. no car, of any sort, lasts forever without maintenance and repairs. not rolls-royce, not mercedes. a vw is no different. you MUST fix things as they need fixing, or they'll just get worse. e. it's always cheaper in the long run to fix and keep an old car running ... than it is to buy a brand new car. really. suppose you paid $5000 for your camper. and you wound up spending another $5000 to get it up to nearly-new specs. that's a total of $10,000. can you find a new camper van for $10K? nope. maybe $35K. the biggest problem with this is that banks won't lend you money to fix old cars ... it's cutting into their racket (loaning money to buy new cars from dealers who owe the same bank for financing the same cars!).

the biggest worry about a 16-year old bus is finding someone to work on it if/when you go on a trip. especially to mexico, where the watercooled buses were never sold. and that's why most of us learn something about fixing things ourselves ... that way, we're fairly certain of being able to limp back home if a problem comes up. this is also why people spend larger sums of money on preventative maintenance just before going on a trip ... so the things they fixed won't break on them. usually works. :)

should you be worried? hmmm. well ... sorta. if you don't know enough about the bus, and how to fix it, to feel comfortable with it, then yeah, worry a bit. but the more you know about it, the less you'll worry. cars are not as fragile as people think ... otherwise, you wouldn't see those smoke-belching junkers rolling along on the streets. :) but a bus, or any car, NEEDS maintenance ... it cannot go indefinitely without it. and german cars are designed with the idea that the owner/driver WILL do this and that according to the schedule of maintenance. :) it's the law or something. ;)

buy a copy of the Muir book (How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive (A Guide for the Compleat Idiot) by John Muir. about $25 at most large booksellers) and read through it. it's all about the aircooled beetles and buses, but a lot of stuff carries over to the watercooled side of things. stuff like wheels, cv joints, brakes, bearings, and electrical stuff, to name a few. it's good to be familiar with the terminology and the location of stuff on a car. and the book helps you learn that.

or to put it another way, you wouldn't think of sky-diving without learning the terminology and location of the various parts of the parachute, would you? how about scuba diving and not learning the terms and methods of the mask and flippers and wet suit and air tank and regulator (didn't know they had one, eh?)?? :) of course not. but people just assume that cars are gonna work right ... i guess it's kinda like the old days when folks just assumed a horse would work right. without care. only needs grass and water. :) anyway, a camper is sort of like scuba diving ... you're safer and more confident if you get involved with the equipment. ;)

good luck! joel