Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Apr 2001 22:37:11 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@earthlink.net>
Subject:      Re: Why do you like your Vanagon?

> Why do you like your Vanagon? What made you consider one? What was you > first experience of one?

i dunno exactly. it just fits me. quite well, thank you. :) i first encountered the vanagon way back in 1979, when Road & Track had an article about the "new generation Transporter". looked kinda neat in the pictures. then in December of that year, i saw one at the dealer ... love at first sight. after having a 71 bus and a 73 bus, i was overjoyed at the changes in the vanagon ... huge engine hatch, fuel injection!!, more room up front, smaller steering wheel, much better seats, bigger windows and better visibility, better handling and cornering (scared the salesman ... who apparently had never even driven the thing!), bigger rear hatch and lower cargo deck. just loved it. probably showed on my face, too ... they didn't come down on the price much. :(

so i drove that one for six years. probably the best bus i ever had. Der Bus was its name. made up some stencils and painted it on the rocker panels and the rear hatch, in old german font. some of my neighbors ridiculed him by calling him Derbus :) it was light blue top and darker blue below.

but i was weak, and when the watercools came out, i looked. peeked, actually. but didn't buy. then the 1986 models came out with power mirrors and fold-down rear seat and different air conditioning. and i let myself be suckered into a test drive while buying parts ... i was doomed. :( until then, i never noticed all the sweat rolling off my body while driving around Alabama and the southeast. just kinda accepted it as "normal" ... i'd never had ANY car with air conditioning before. well, let me tell you ... one test drive in an air conditioned 1986 white bus, and i was hooked!!! :) yeah, i bought it.

so i've been driving vw buses for 30 years, and vanagons for 21 of those years. just seems kinda natural. :)

what do i like about them? i like the way they FEEL. to me, it's a good feeling ... sitting up high with great visibility; sitting inside with all that room behind me; being able to walk from the front seats to the back seats (assuming the bus is stopped!) ... i don't get that feeling in any other car. and yes, i've had other cars during the 30 years ... porsche, mercedes, honda. tried out some toyotas, chrysler, chevrolet (never again!), and ford. nothing is quite the same. so i stick with what i like ... Vanagons. :)

it may not be cool, in this part of the country, and there may not be many (any!) others around here (i own 3/5ths of all the vanagons in this town ... there are only five of us), but it's what i like. and i'd rather spend my time and money on what i like, than to spend it on something someone else likes ...

like the poem says ...

Believe It ... or Don't Department Willy "Bill the Bard" Shakesbeer drove a vw bus!

Sonnets xxix

When, in this race of Fortune and men's lies, I often sit alone and contemplate ... Where might I be, had I been much more wise In choice of cars with which to link my fate? What might I drive to work, to play, to cope In rageous traffic, more than some can bear, Were I to let someone decree my scope In what to buy, to say, or clothes to wear? How more in profit might my time be spent Than nursemaid to some broken old auto? A smile replaces brow with troubles bent As to the wheel I climb and off I go ... And though my drives through rolling country end, I love this bus, this one that makes me grin.

:) unca joel 1987 Vanagon Camper GL, 180,000miles 1988 Vanagon GL, 145,000 miles 1991 Vanagon Carat, 123,000 miles 1984 John Deere SX-95 lawn mower (currently not working). :(