Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:57:27 -0600
From:         John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Opinions sought on max oil temp

I am in the process of proving to myself that my 81 2.0L can, or cannot, tow my small trailer. Over the weekend, I took a drive without the trailer, then the same route with the trailer attached for the first time.

My oil temp sensor is in the drain plug. I am aware that there might be better places to monitor the oil temp, but this is where I put mine. I am not as concerned with exact temperature, as I am with trying to compare 'with and without' readings.

The ambient temperature was about 55 degrees, so the temperature readings between the two, thirty minute trips was only about 10 degrees at the most. Performance was as I expected :) I am suprised to see that the temp reading from the drain plug hang around 160 to 180 degress. Is that what one might expect?

As a general request, I would like to solict opinions on what folks would consider a max oil temperature in an air cooled engine that they put up with. I acknowledge that different locations show different temps, and that oil type comes into play as well, and that I would do well with a cylinder head temp gauge. I use 10W40, but not synthetic. I am sure there are as many opinions as there are brands of oil, but I have no frame of reference, and a lot of you have been doing this much longer than I have, so I am hoping for some general opinions.

I am subscribed to the air cooled list, but I lost the address that I should send messages to, so once I find that again, <g> I will be looking there for some expertise as well. There is a lot of info on oil, and temperature readings, in the archives for both lists, but I find nothing that tells me how hot is just plain too hot.

Much obliged for any comments. Thanks for listening to the ramblings.

Regards from Utah,

John