Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:00:19 -0700
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Why the Delete Key is not enough
Comments: To: John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET>

John,

You've missed the point entirely. Filters, delete keys don't work especially for those of us with employer-based email. Our employers have access to our email, plain and simple. It doesn't matter whether we delete it, filter it, read it, etc...they can archive it, they can access it before we download it to our PC. I don't want my employer thinking I'm getting smut at work PERIOD!

To the argument that we have to keep the list open for folks who are on the road and encounter problems and need access to the list, ask yourself this: How many messages per day do we get from stranded list members versus the amount of spam and smut we get on this list by keeping it open. Besides, the stranded list member is illusory....you can access your email as well as send your email from your ISP on the road by simply using something like hotmail, etc. This list was filtered in the past...no list members got stranded...and there was no porno-spam.

Most lists I'm subscribed to base the filter on email addresses....an incoming piece of mail comes in and its not from a recognized member of the list, the email doesn't get posted plain and simple.

Ric

At 08:42 AM 4/18/2001 -0600, John Brush wrote: >Here we go again. :) > >That was a beauty that showed up this AM, wasn't it! > >My question to all those who advocate that Gerry filter this stuff is >simply this: What should Gerry filter on, and why can't you do it >yourself? Should we have a keyword that goes in the header, or in the >text of the message? If we do that, then the list is basically closed >from outsiders anyway. > >All mail readers have filters, so use them. Since we get so much benefit >from this list for virtually no investment, it should be our >responsibility to take care of as much as we can without being a burden >on the sysop. > >Now to make it more confusing, I want to flip flop and ask why we don't >close the list? Its pretty obnoxious for someone to post a request for >help and then close by saying "I am not subscribed, so email me >privately" Geez, I think that takes nerve to stick your head into room >full of people and ask for help, and "OBTW" I don't want to be in this >room, so please come up to my place and give me free advice. > >Either way, I think that spam comments are overruning us worse than the >spam itself. > >Just my one cent worth. I have to rest now from running between one side >and the other :-) > >John