Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:27:07 -0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Which poptop seals + color of top?

Julie -

I put on the BD kit a year ago. It looks good and should wear well. The aluminun clamps won't rust out like the steel ones on the original did.

If you get the flat seal across the top, you will also need to purchase some 3M Trim and Weatherstrip Adhesive. Yellow color is common, but you probably want to look for Black. It's fairly pricey, and you won't need the whole tube, but - - -. Think a bit about how you want the two seals to meet at the front corner of the pop-top. You can notch the flat seal partly around the bulb seal or butt them toghether. You might want to leave the flat seal a bit long and trim it when finished. A bit of the blasck 3M adhesive can be used to fill in any gaps.

Also, trim or notch the bulb seal from the inside in the area where the trim makes a sharp bend at the back of the top.

If you need to replace the seal around the luggage rack, I would recommend getting the type with the bulb, and trimming it off on the sides to allow water to escape. I got the type without the bulb, and despite padding and re-adjusting screws, have been unable to eliminate some rumble from wind working its way under the top at highway speeds.

Others have had different experiences, but I think it's safer to go with the bulb on the front part of the luggage rack.

- Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, Idaho

Hi,

We have to change our poptop seals (Westfalia 88). BusDepot seems to have the cheapest kit: anyone already bought it? Is it the one with the good clamps - I read somewhere some seals have aluminium clamps and they don't hold well. <SNIP> _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com