Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:16:15 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Spam and list closure

I guess that I just don't get it... I'm "unsubscribed" from the list because I'm on the road. Why not just "set nomail"? I break down. I attempt to post to the list from an i-net cafe. I can't get the message to the list because I'm not sending from my currently "unsubscribed" address. Right so far?

Why did I not plan a bit ahead and contact my ISP for the 'remote' email access address. I live in a town with 12k people and even *my* ISP has a site for browser based email. All it requires is a bit of preplanning. Or use one of the web based mailbots... Excite, email.com, hotmail all come immediately to mind.

There is absolutely NO reason to have an open list. NONE. If you want to play you should be subscribed. The only way for an open list to work is to have it fully moderated. Neither Tom nor I have the time nor energy to do that.

Close the list. If you are going on the road and need help accessing it, contact me before you leave and I'll be happy to walk you through it.

BTW, one of the things that I'm noticing is that some of these 'advertisers' are actually reading the list posts. And harvesting the addresses. I get p-mail spam then ten minutes later, the same 'advertisement' shows up on the list. Wonder where they got my pmail address from...

Jim Arnott List Admin Spare Vanagon Union, OR