Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:13:34 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: >> WET TEEN (you know the rest)
Comments: To: Jean-Guy Savoie <jgsavoie@NBNET.NB.CA>
Comments: cc: "Carrington, Tom" <tcarrington@RELITECH.COM>

At 11:43 AM 4/18/2001, Jean-Guy Savoie wrote: >I don't think that either of these points are valid for a list such as >this, if a simple inclusion rule were adopted

Yes, I think that re-asking the question in a much more specific fashion and without the "dirty-words" red herring would produce more useful advice. *One* answer of many said that Listserv won't do this, but it was not L-Soft saying that, just User X.

Just a side note: I subscribe to about fifteen mailing lists, almost all either egroups/yahoo or listserv. I only receive general-purpose spam on *one* of them (small-timers often join yahoo lists to send spam, and are booted off after one bite) -- and as it's been pointed out by someone else, <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> is now surely known by human spammers as a live and therefore much more valuable address, which means that the volume will continue to increase.

>(I concur that the banned word approach is difficult or useless).

Worse than that, it makes you look stupid. In illustration, Kodak Corporation recently rejected a post from the Model Engineering list because it contained the word "cock," used in the sense of definition 4 below. Now I submit that Kodak has gotten itself in a cleft stick, since on the one hand they invented the shutter that needs to be cocked (granted, most of them are gone except on Really Expensive cameras), and on the other hand if they allow this word then sooner or later one of their employees will get a rude shock to the sensibilities which apparently they have taken on the responsibility to prevent. Leaving aside whether Kodak legitimately have that responsibility, it's bad business for them to take on ten-year-olds in a contest they can't possibly win.

cock1 (k¼k) n. 1.a. An adult male chicken; a rooster. b. An adult male of various other birds. 2. A weathervane shaped like a rooster; a weathercock. 3. A leader or chief. 4. A faucet or valve by which the flow of a liquid or gas can be regulated. 5.a. The hammer of a firearm. b. The position of the hammer of a firearm when ready for firing. 6. A tilting or jaunty turn upward: the cock of a hat. 7. Vulgar. Slang. The penis. 8. Archaic. The characteristic cry of a rooster early in the morning. --cock v. cocked, cock·ing, cocks. --tr. 1. To set the hammer of (a firearm) in a position ready for firing. 2. To set (a device, such as a camera shutter) in a position ready for use. 3. To tilt or turn up or to one side, usually in a jaunty or alert manner: cocked an eyebrow in response to a silly question. 4. To raise in preparation to throw or hit: cocked the bat before swinging at the pitch. --intr. 1. To set the hammer of a firearm in a position ready for firing. 2. To turn or stick up. 3. To strut; swagger. --idioms. cock a snoot or cock a snook. Slang. To express scorn or derision by or as if by placing the thumb on the nose and wiggling the fingers; thumb one's nose: "[He] could cock a snoot at the rest of the . . . world and blithely go his own way" (Elie Kedourie). cock of the walk. An overbearing or domineering person. [Middle English cok, from Old English cocc, probably from Late Latin coccus, from coco, a cackling, of imitative origin.] cock2 (k¼k) n. 1. A cone-shaped pile of straw or hay. --cock tr.v. cocked, cock·ing, cocks. To arrange (straw or hay) into piles shaped like cones. [Middle English cok.]

If further illustration were needed, Eudora has just informed me that I should have my mouth washed out with soap for attempting to send this message. Hmpf.

>2. Second, the danger that the rule would be defeated by spammers is an >unlikely scenario: spammers like to sent a standardized E-Mail message to >as many million addresses as they can find. They are not in the business >of customizing they're spam anymore than necessary. They won't be >including "Vanagon" in their text either, despite the inherent sexyness of >that particular vehicle.

Correct. Although it gravels me that spammers get 800:1 leverage from this address, nonetheless these folks think in terms of hundreds of thousands of emails sent per hour, and only the smallest of the small fry would even dream of personalizing a spam to the list. Even the yahoo bottom-feeding yahoo spammers don't do that. You too can get sixteen million addresses on a CD for $50, and high-speed bulk mailers are widely available for cheap. This of course excepts small-time spam that *is* targeted to Vanagon owners...

> >The inclusion rule could be "defeated" by legit interested third parties >looking for our usual advice in a friendly, OPEN list, as aggravating as >some of the stupid questions and postings can be. The benefit of the >simple inclusion list rule would be to force the outsiders to read the >rules, as pointed out in Ron's "Great Solution for Spamless Open >List!!" posting. If they realy want to post to the list, they will have >to do their homework.

Here's where I have a real problem -- if people aren't subscribed, how are they supposed to read the answers? Oh that's right -- the members are supposed to pmail them. Hmmm.

I think that if an inclusion rule is technically feasible, fine, let's do it. It will teach people how to use email signatures... <g> But if it's not -- Shut her down, Clancy, she's a-pumping mud!

Side note: I keep seeing references to how such-and-such arrangement would lead to lots of extra work for the list-owner. I say rubbish. These notions are based on the idea of a deus-ex-machina who is too stupid to do his job right, so has to pass all his rejections upstairs for review. To me this is the Wrong Answer -- instead, ask deus-ex to do a job he *can* do, and then let him. He has no judgment, so don't ask for judgment calls, because *guess who* is going to have to make them? Rejected postings should get a listserv rejection message sent to the poster, and then be dropped in the bit bucket to return to the primordial electronic ooze. This now leaves it up to the poster to fix his problem, inquiring of management if necessary.

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 VANAGON Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"