Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Apr 2001 12:31:40 -0500
From:         Terry Kay <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Re: Has anybody gotten their van painted?
Comments: To: Kitzmann <kitzmann@EXIS.NET>

David, If you did all the removal, of all the the trim, bumpers, etc., and cleaned, and sanded, and primed, and sanded, and cleaned, and masked off everything except the glass. which is a real pain, I would venture to say that it would cost approximately $1900.00 to $2800.00, depending on the shop, and whether or not you want it wet sanded, and rubbed out.

And this also depends on the materials you choose to use.

A single stage paint is cheaper than base coat-clear coat, and less work but it won't last as long.

Polyurethane paint is the best, costs an arm and a leg, and gives you the most durability, while an straight old enamel is cheap, shines like crazy, (for awhile) but has poor durability.

The prices I shot at you are an estimate,of what I would charge, but there are allot of variables here, so this is a tough call.

The best thing you could do is visit your local body shop, and inquire about your intentions.

I would almost bet that they will also tell you that because you are going to prep it yourself, there will be no guarantee on the paint job.

Good Luck,

Terry 85 GL